Direct slab heating with ASHP

JIH

After much heart ache, time and tears I'm looking for some advice from you guys regarding my heating system, which is completely separate from DHW. 

I plan to directly heat my slab with ASHP using Willis heaters as back up.  Hydraulically does this look ok?

Input much appreciated.

image.png.11f09a439874bd40971e723c01387346.png

20 minutes ago, Jilly said:

So, I'm not at the point of choosing an ASHP, but...you need extra heaters?? TBH it was troubling me how it would work in the really cold weather...

Jilly -   I'm happy that my ASHP will be adequate to heat my house, which has a high level of insulation and air tightness.  You may be correct that additional heat could be required in extreme conditions - but this could be achieved with a fan heater and does not need to be part of the system design in my case.

1 hour ago, Jilly said:

So, I'm not at the point of choosing an ASHP, but...you need extra heaters?? TBH it was troubling me how it would work in the really cold weather...

No the Willis heaters are there for a backup if the ASHP breaks 

Sizing an ASHP is fairly simple, the difference is getting used to running it on off peak power such as E7 or E10. You use the floor as a big storage heater, pump lots of heat in and then it radiates through the day. E10 allows you to give it a boost later in the day. 

On 11/07/2020 at 16:50, JIH said:

image.png.11f09a439874bd40971e723c01387346.png

Can anybody help me here?  Does this look ok?  Correct to have circulating pump on the flow side?  Should it be as far from the UFH manifold as possible?

2 minutes ago, joe90 said:

My pump is on the manifold on the flow side as designed by the manufacturer.

Yes, thanks @joe90 I have a pump attached to the manifold (as shown in the diagram in the box on right), but  I thought I would need another  pump in addition to the UFH circulating pump.

4 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Only thing I would potentially add is a buffer and then just put the immersion(s) as a backup in the buffer tank itself. 

Thanks @PeterW, I don't have room for a buffer tank in the space unfortunately and have already bought the willis heaters. 

31 minutes ago, JIH said:

Yes, thanks @joe90 I have a pump attached to the manifold (as shown in the diagram in the box on right), but  I thought I would need another  pump in addition to the UFH circulating pump.

my ASHP does not have a pump within it (some do) so I have a pump externally to give flow to the buffer or DHW tank as dictated by the controller/stats etc. The manifold pump circulates water from my buffer and around the UFH loops.

34 minutes ago, PeterW said:

So you need a bypass somewhere here after the pump and before the UFH manifold. If all the zone valves shut you will get a closed circuit and no flow. 

image.png.8a6ffd373b34d5bb8f3a74d1ef3e1e5b.png

Thanks @PeterW, just a simple connection across as above?  Does this need a valve?

9 minutes ago, joe90 said:

my ASHP does not have a pump within it (some do) so I have a pump externally to give flow to the buffer or DHW tank as dictated by the controller/stats etc. The manifold pump circulates water from my buffer and around the UFH loops.

Thanks @Joe90, I think I shall therefore try and position my pump as close to the ASHP as possible.

Just now, JIH said:

Thanks @Joe90, I think I shall therefore try and position my pump as close to the ASHP as possible.

Check the MIs for the ASHP - some need it on the return not the flow for some reason .!!

16 minutes ago, joe90 said:

yes, @JIH What ASHP do you have?

I have a Kingspan Aeromax Plus 6kW @Joe90.

image.png.5bd780085246a8d38393f7ab10351ed7.png

Looking at this diagram in the blurb it seems the pump should go on the return for the Kingspan, thanks @PeterW

39 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Check the MIs for the ASHP - some need it on the return not the flow for some reason .!!

I always assumed this was more for the benefit of the pump rather than the ASHP: it gets to spend its  working life pumping away at room temperature rather than at the heating supply temperature, but I don't have any evidence that's necessary or helpful or even relevant.

34 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Ha, I have the Kingspan Aeromax 4kW 

I hope you're pleased with it!  Did you use the image.png.ed90f36cd51955307195d20e24e24cc0.pngcontroller to set the temperature?  I remember reading you had problems.  I've not tried mine yet.

28 minutes ago, JIH said:

I remember reading you had problems.  I've not tried mine yet.

OH YES. I am not the best when it comes to programming stuff but I found this very difficult to understand. (And so did Jeremy, and he is a boffin) Frankly I managed to set a couple of parameters and left it alone ?. I am very pleased with the ASHP and it’s performance. ?