Help configuring floorplan

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for the multitude of posts, but having a brainstorming session and was keen to draw on the experience of you fine people.  We are looking at a character property that has an awful first floor layout.  We would like to reconfigure to achieve:

- Master bedroom with en-suite

- Two double bedrooms

- Fourth Bedroom

- Family Bathroom.

Any suggestions or help how we could achieve this would be greatly appreciated!

Upstairs Orig.jpg

I saw from another thread your attached on the left but what’s to the rear... attached to another property?

With having windows to the front and right will obviously restrict your design and layout options. Assuming those two elevations are the ones that can only accommodate windows, then you will have to try and keep all the rooms that don’t require natural light/ventilation or escape requirements to the left and rear. Those rooms or areas would include a Kitchen, Utility, W.C., Stair, Bathroom, En-suite and Dressing areas.

To get the layouts right would require a bit of work and the thing I’d first consider is to have the entrance on the southern wall leading to a Hall with the stair and a Kitchen/Utility/W.C. on the left and the rest of your entertaining space on the right. This would also depend on the existing drainage points and access.

Hi Damo,

Thanks for the response, the rear of the property sides onto the neighbours house.

Would Velux Windows be an option on that side of the house would you think?

DD9469F6-27FB-4BB5-B67C-418ABCC5E454.png

Edited by Laurence737

So is it physically attached as I can’t make it out from the photo?

You can install rooflights if there is space to do so. If inserting them to a Bedroom and needing to meet the escape window requirements, they’d have to be positioned quite low, i.e. max. 1.1 above floor level. However, you may find Planning having a few concerns with a lower positioned rooflight in a side roof plane. For windows/rooflights installed in a side elevation, the window would normally need to be obscured and have no openings below 1.7m above floor level. As Planning comes before Building Regulations, the overlooking/privacy issues would have to be dealt with prior to the escape requirements.

• 2 weeks later...