Reasonable price for a garden room foundation

cookolaar

Hello I about to start building a timber framed garden bar/entertaining room and want to check a few things off with you knowledgeable bunch.

I am looking to get someone to put the pad/founadtions down before I take over as I think that could take me quite a while.

I have had a quote for the foundation/pad as follows.  The quote of for £6000 does this seem reasonable to people for the work explained?

Install base for Garden room (46 m2) (With brick course)

Excavate reduced levels by machine, excavation Depth : (230mm overall)
Levelling and compacting bottoms of excavations with vibrating plate
50mm backfilling to make up levels with hardcore, compacting fill with vibrating plate 30mm sand or quarry dust blinding spread and levelled.
Install 50mm Jablite insulation
Mesh reinforcement to slab
Disposal of soil off site
Ready mixed concrete foundation and pump.
Install 2 course of D.M.P (Blue Bricks)
Final leaves to be 30mm-50mm above existing grass leave

Thanks!

I did chuckle when I read 

Bar 

I grew up win the 70s when it was fashionable for people to  have a bar in the corner of there lounge 
Martini optics and party seven ?

• Haha 1

So I am reading and hearing different things re gardens rooms.  So if it is less 46m2 than 2.5 m single story, flat roof I understand I don't need planning permission and it can be done under permitted dev as it is not more than 50% of our land.  Do I still need building regs then as some things seems to say yes and others no as it will be a timber framed building is this classed as temporary or permanent?

Eek that will be another £1000 if I have to go down building control assessments plus any changes to the plans/foundations etc.  I have a well worked out budget but trying to keep control of it!

Edited by cookolaar

I'll be honest, I've been looking at this sort of thing for a while and thought that 30m2 was the no BR limit. 

And I think I've budgeted about £1200 for a base structure (not concrete) for 27m2 so maybe I need to re-visit my sums. 

13 minutes ago, joe90 said:

planning permission

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/43/outbuildings

building regs

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/43/outbuildings/2

from the above I gather planning permission is not reqd if less than 50% of garden but building regs reqd if over 30 sq m !

Makes sense 

Double garage and over 

43 minutes ago, joe90 said:

planning permission

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/43/outbuildings

building regs

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/43/outbuildings/2

from the above I gather planning permission is not reqd if less than 50% of garden but building regs reqd if over 30 sq m !

Yeah that seems to be what I'm fining out.  Ive been quoted £950 without architects drawings for building regs assessment and certificate and £750 with..........Well that's not on my budget yet!!!!!

1 hour ago, daiking said:

I'll be honest, I've been looking at this sort of thing for a while and thought that 30m2 was the no BR limit. 

And I think I've budgeted about £1200 for a base structure (not concrete) for 27m2 so maybe I need to re-visit my sums. 

What are you looking at for a base structure?  I was advised to use easy pads but liked the idea of a full pad as I wanted a pool table so wanted it stable.  I am also just less confident with groundworks than I am with the timber structure etc

7 minutes ago, cookolaar said:

What are you looking at for a base structure?  I was advised to use easy pads but liked the idea of a full pad as I wanted a pool table so wanted it stable.  I am also just less confident with groundworks than I am with the timber structure etc

Just a glorified shed base, lots of short 100x100 fence posts in 2 bags of concrete. I'm not looking to start building yet, just starting to properly plan and will increase spec where required. 

@cookolaar, it’s only a garden room, why not use tyres rammed with pea gravel like the straw bale build thread, a lot cheaper and no concrete. Search the internet fir garden room suppliers and see if you can copy their spec, plenty here that can help with building regs, not that difficult fir such a small project.

Why not go for wooden frame for the base. 

A few fence posts either sunk or sitting on a block on a pad. Wouldn't be a lot of concrete needed and it's very DIY friendly. 

Then build it like a deck using 8*2,9*2 joists and board over. Put them at 400 centres and they will be rock solid.

You have went from near £6k to probably not much over £1k.

• Thanks 1

£6k for a concrete slab is a joke anywhere but Mayfair. There is £600 of concrete in that slab. 

I would get round the BRegs and planning issue by building a pair of 20sqm buildings separated by a 3m pergola / covered area between the two buildings. You could use the same roof but leave both ends open and it’s not classed as internal area. Gives you flexibility to use them for different things too. 

3 minutes ago, PeterW said:

£6k for a concrete slab is a joke anywhere but Mayfair. There is £600 of concrete in that slab. 

Was thinking the same thing. Quote for our 100m², 250mm slab with two layers of mesh is £6500.

• Like 1

I'm in the process of building a garden room and at the stage of having just had the electricians do the first fix last week. I excavated the site and did the base (12 concrete piers) and floor frame myself, following the method outlined by Ali Dymock (AD) on his YouTube channel. . .

Garden Room Workshop

There are loads of YouTube channels devoted to self build garden rooms and, although many (all?) have their merits, few go into the level of detail that AD does. I haven't yet priced the build, but the base just comprises the landscape fabric (free from my neighbour!), a dumpy bag of chippings, 24 concrete blocks, some sand and cement, 5" x 2" structural C24 timber and various fixings. If that lot exceeded £500 I'd be surprised. Here are a few pic's of the project, including one of the completed base: Garden Room Self-builder

Tim.

15 hours ago, timsk said:

I'm in the process of building a garden room and at the stage of having just had the electricians do the first fix last week. I excavated the site and did the base (12 concrete piers) and floor frame myself, following the method outlined by Ali Dymock (AD) on his YouTube channel. . .

Garden Room Workshop

There are loads of YouTube channels devoted to self build garden rooms and, although many (all?) have their merits, few go into the level of detail that AD does. I haven't yet priced the build, but the base just comprises the landscape fabric (free from my neighbour!), a dumpy bag of chippings, 24 concrete blocks, some sand and cement, 5" x 2" structural C24 timber and various fixings. If that lot exceeded £500 I'd be surprised. Here are a few pic's of the project, including one of the completed base: Garden Room Self-builder

Tim.

What is the size of your room Tim? @timsk

P

Edited by cookolaar

8 hours ago, cookolaar said:

What is the size of your room Tim? @timsk

P

Hi cookolaar,

Tiny compared to yours - just 5 x 3 metres. However, I believe the basic principle of using concrete blocks as piers and building a timber base frame off of those is scalable. Ali Dymock's garden room is somewhere between yours and mine in size and, if I remember rightly, he built four separate frames and then stitched them together to make one big one. I should point out that I'm just a mickey mouse DIYer and have no professional skills - so my comments are uninformed opinion and may be wide of the mark. I quite see that for a building of your size that a solid concrete base might well be the best way forward. I just saw your £6k quote and thought ouch; but your circumstances are doubtless very different to mine and you may be fine with it. Each to their own. ?

Tim.