Vertical open joint batten cladding

GaryM

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

Firstly - thank you all for pulling together this thread, it's full of really useful content! So I'm currently planning to clad the top half of the front of newly extended property and having read through this and other useful threads, I think I'm about there!

However, the only thing we're undecided on whether to go with an open-faced batten cladding, or a closed face T&G type board which replicates a similar shadow gap style. To be honest the open-faced batten looks soo much better, but our biggest concern is insects, wasps etc taking up home behind the cladding. 

Having read and seen the amazing pictures which a few of you have shared in recent years, has anyone had any issues with this? Particularly interested to hear from both @GaryM and @ToughButterCup.

Also - does anyone have any experience of using Timberulove to source the timber from? Currently swaying between these two products:

https://www.timberulove.co.uk/products/siberian-larch-shadow-gap-cladding-a-grade-28-mm-thickness/?attribute_dimensions=28+mm+x+95+mm+x+3000+mm+-+£11.12

https://www.timberulove.co.uk/products/siberian-larch-fencing-elements-a-grade-battens-28-mm-thickness/?attribute_dimensions=28+mm+x+60+mm+x+3000+mm+-+£8.19

Any advise around completing a project like this would be much appreciated. 🙂

Thanks, Stew

NB: And for what it's worth @GaryM - we think the render looks amazing!

Edited by ltfcstew

5 hours ago, ltfcstew said:

That looks expensive! I got my shadow gap Siberian larch from a local Jewsons for around £5/lm. It’s probably gone up a bit since the war started but it surely can’t have doubled in price!?

We have had one wasps nest the size of an egg cup.

If they notice it, everyone comments on how nice the shadow gaps are. I forgot to paint the battens that show in the gaps black .

@Russell griffiths 's fault that ... he didn't post about the issue in time. The unpainted battens 'disappear ' a few steps away from the house. Buy yourself two Viking Arm clamps. They work perfectly as separators - to within half a mil. 

Edited by ToughButterCup

1 hour ago, ToughButterCup said:

I forgot to paint the battens that show in the gaps black .

Friends got around painting the battens by putting a black membrane over them. Obviously after confirming with the manufacturer that it was allowed as there was the silver membrane behind the battens on the outside of the timber frame. 

although I guess that would reduce the effect of the shadow gap somewhat 

On 08/07/2022 at 21:46, Thorfun said:

That looks expensive! I got my shadow gap Siberian larch from a local Jewsons for around £5/lm. It’s probably gone up a bit since the war started but it surely can’t have doubled in price!?

Hi there! So these prices are per 3m length - so a 60mm wide length are £8.19 +VAT each, so that makes the lm price £3.27/lm including VAT. I've had a good shop about and that seems a good deal! Beats our local timber merchant anyways.

However, the timber arrives bare. Did you guys treat the timber before fixing it? Ideally we want it to naturally silver and don't want to alter the colour of it - so I wondered about using a clear timber treatment like this:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/sika-wood-preserver-clear-5ltr/47030

Thanks all - appreciate the replies. 

Edited by ltfcstew

On 09/07/2022 at 10:12, ToughButterCup said:

We have had one wasps nest the size of an egg cup.

Thanks for this. Any it was easy enough to remove I guess?

Good shout on the painting of the battens black. Did you also use a black UV membrane too? 

• 1 year later...
On 08/07/2022 at 15:48, ltfcstew said:

Hi all,

Firstly - thank you all for pulling together this thread, it's full of really useful content! So I'm currently planning to clad the top half of the front of newly extended property and having read through this and other useful threads, I think I'm about there!

However, the only thing we're undecided on whether to go with an open-faced batten cladding, or a closed face T&G type board which replicates a similar shadow gap style. To be honest the open-faced batten looks soo much better, but our biggest concern is insects, wasps etc taking up home behind the cladding. 

Having read and seen the amazing pictures which a few of you have shared in recent years, has anyone had any issues with this? Particularly interested to hear from both @GaryM and @ToughButterCup.

Also - does anyone have any experience of using Timberulove to source the timber from? Currently swaying between these two products:

https://www.timberulove.co.uk/products/siberian-larch-shadow-gap-cladding-a-grade-28-mm-thickness/?attribute_dimensions=28+mm+x+95+mm+x+3000+mm+-+£11.12

https://www.timberulove.co.uk/products/siberian-larch-fencing-elements-a-grade-battens-28-mm-thickness/?attribute_dimensions=28+mm+x+60+mm+x+3000+mm+-+£8.19

Any advise around completing a project like this would be much appreciated. 🙂

Thanks, Stew

NB: And for what it's worth @GaryM - we think the render looks amazing!

My apologies for the very late reply. I guess it took late now

So far no problems with the cladding, no insects or birds.

I did get the Siberian larch from Timberulove, overall not too bad, at the time, cheaper than other suppliers.

If you haven't started it yet ( my build was year late) let know and I post some thoughts.

But I just made a few jigs for even spacing. I calculated the spacing per side, so the battens lined up right at the corners.

I used 45 x 45 every where other than base vertical battens, I used treated wood, them for the horizontal the larch chamfered and painted black and then vertical on that.

On 10/07/2022 at 20:28, ltfcstew said:

Hi there! So these prices are per 3m length - so a 60mm wide length are £8.19 +VAT each, so that makes the lm price £3.27/lm including VAT. I've had a good shop about and that seems a good deal! Beats our local timber merchant anyways.

However, the timber arrives bare. Did you guys treat the timber before fixing it? Ideally we want it to naturally silver and don't want to alter the colour of it - so I wondered about using a clear timber treatment like this:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/sika-wood-preserver-clear-5ltr/47030

Thanks all - appreciate the replies. 

Siberian larch does not need treating, it should last 20 years.

On 10/07/2022 at 20:29, ltfcstew said:

Thanks for this. Any it was easy enough to remove I guess?

Good shout on the painting of the battens black. Did you also use a black UV membrane too? 

Yes we painted the back battens black and used UV membrane designed for open cladding