Outbuilding PP

AlanUK

I have planning permission to builid a double detached garage with a room above.  Currently the PP is for an external staircase to get to the room.  I have now had a better idea - a spiral staircase up to a balcony/platform to get into the room.  Will this require additional planning permission?

Thanks,

Alan

Hi Alan,

I would think so as any kind of raised platform like this can create overlooking issues. Thus even decking raised over 30cm off the ground needs permission.

I guess if the platform is in the same position as the top of the stairs you could argue there is no change and certainly it should make getting permission pretty simple. It could just be an ammendment to the existing permission. But it sounds like it is a larger platform which will probably need permission.

Thanks Ali.  Yes, it will be a larger (significantly larger) platform.  The current one is just the width of a staircase, and the width of the door it goes to (ish), and I'm hoping for something like 4m by 3.5m or so.  I suspected that I would need the PP.  

Can you not ring the planner and get a feel for what they require (their not all bad, I think/hope!) you could always extend it after it’s finished and see if anyone notices ?.

do you have neighbours close-by in the direction of the balcony - it would normally need planning permission, but if you already have planning it may be able to be approved as a non material variation, but it depends entirely on whether you are increasing any overlooking... why the spiral, possibly the worse kind of stair and most awkward!? 

3 minutes ago, joe90 said:

what furniture do you want in this room? ? (tho they do look nice ?)

not for furniture, you ever gone up and down an external spiral stair in the wet? the tapered treads can be a nightmare - Father in law had a cafe with a spiral stair onto an external deck and he eventually closed it because people kept slipping on it! 

Yes, I'll have to be wary of getting furniture etc. up there, but it's going to be an office, so no big sofas etc.  

I want a spiral staircase as it's more compact, and won't stretch out beyond the bounds of the building too much, and also will be better for the balcony.  The garage is located about 30 north of my semi-detached house, and the attached property is to the south.  Also, the balcony will be located on the north end of the garage, and so pointing away from the neighbour's house.  Their house (and mine) won't be visible from the balcony.  The neighbours' garden does lie close to the garage though, as their garden (well, field really, with sheep in). comes from their house and runs alongside ours.  See the attached "architectural drawings".....

I like the idea of getting it done as a non-material variation - I'll look into that.

scan0012.pdf