Advice for Fire Escape Windows

soapstar

We are just about to go into battle with BC over first floor fire escape. We too have a gable end window, but with a sliding door with a Juliet balcony.  I can't quite understand but this can't be considered a fire escape as we could lock it. From my perspective the answer is "well we won't lock it", I have a feeling that will not be acceptable.

8 hours ago, GaryM said:

We are just about to go into battle with BC over first floor fire escape. We too have a gable end window, but with a sliding door with a Juliet balcony.  I can't quite understand but this can't be considered a fire escape as we could lock it. From my perspective the answer is "well we won't lock it", I have a feeling that will not be acceptable.

This doesn’t seem right...I know of houses with lockable doors out to a Juliet balcony.  

At the end of the day it’s up to us to make sure we carry out the correct measures to ensure we are safe, like not locking a fire escape would be one!

On 10/09/2020 at 22:35, GaryM said:

Also given the front door/back door is lockable does this mean they aren’t considered a fire escape? I would rather walk out my front door than jump out a window ?

Manufacture hundreds of doors a week and have never heard of BC raising this as an issue.

Key locking is specifically listed as allowable in Part B. The paragraph in question only talks about windows but that's to clarify that you don't need to have special non-locking handles for fire escape (these are actually an option for window). Doors automatically need key-locking in private dwellings for child safety and insurance reasons amongst other things.

If you want the easy way out, just fit a thumb-turn cylinder to the door so it can always be unlocked from inside. 

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone explain to me exactly what rooms are required to have a fire escape window? I was under the impression the only rooms that require a fire escape are habitable rooms such as bedrooms - now im being told the office on the first floor needs a fire escape window, a velux wont do as its not 1100mm from the floor. The house is going to turn into a green house with all these bloody windows! ?

6 minutes ago, soapstar said:

thanks @SoldierDog 

Has anyone ever come across the situation where the escape window is higher than the maximum 1100mm from floor level and used steps as a method of reducing the height? 

We have a fire escape window that is higher than 1100mm, I pointed it out to bc and said it’s a sticky thing that I need to discuss with you. 

He just told me to build a step up to it, but it must be a permanent feature, ie not a pair of steps that could be removed from the room. 

I will build it onto the floor all screwed down and chuck a bit a bit of carpet on it. 

Regarding habitable rooms, we have had to put fire escape window in our office as it would be very easy to just put a bed in there and it’s instantly another bedroom. 

• Like 1

I had the dilemma a few years ago of planning wanting a new bedroom window to be fixed frosted glass with an opening top fan light window to maintain any overlooking privacy to neighbours, while Building Control wanted an opening casement window below the fan light for fire escape reasons. In the end I went for frosted window with opening fan light and casement to suit BC and safety, only opening the lower window if/when essential. BC inspected and signed off but planning officers rarely seem to return to inspect unless someone complains.