Black stains on my oak conservatory

joe90

I love my Oak conservatory but externally some black stains are appearing, particularly the cills. It was treated with three coats of Osmo UV protection oil. Some reading tells me it can be treated with oxalic acid but is mostly for treating oak with iron stains. Is this the best treatment to be followed by more Osmo UV protection oil?

2 hours ago, joe90 said:

I love my Oak conservatory but externally some black stains are appearing, particularly the cills. It was treated with three coats of Osmo UV protection oil. Some reading tells me it can be treated with oxalic acid but is mostly for treating oak with iron stains. Is this the best treatment to be followed by more Osmo UV protection oil?

How long ago was it done?

I was very sceptical about oxalis acids ability to clean up badly marked and black stained oak. One application was enough to get rid of the majority of the stains, two applications and a nylon bristled brush and the worst stains were gone. Give it a try, you have nothing  to looose

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Said chemical duly ordered and on its way, thanks guys ?

The same chemical is rebottled as expensive teak deck cleaner for boats, I have used it many times and the transformation is remarkable. I don't know if the extra additives in the yachtie version make a difference, it is usually sold as a two bottle two stage cleaning process.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wessex-Teak-Cleaner-Renovator-parts/dp/B00B6BKS8G

13 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

The same chemical is rebottled as expensive teak deck cleaner for boats

yes, Osmo sell a “wood reviver” product but it’s main ingredient is oxalic acid.