Are Semi Pedestals open bottomed?

Robert Clark

Ok, so when do we move from ‘gentle nudge’ to screaming “that will look crap”? 

15 minutes ago, bassanclan said:

Floor standing vanity unit is your best bet

+1. But would need to have a cavity at the back so you can leave pipes in situ and cut out for that boxing -in. Beware ones which are flush to the back wall. 

Edited by Nickfromwales
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Robert Clark said:

the boss doesn’t like them

Dead man walking.....

What I would recommend is a small tiled boxing in between the existing boxing-in and the bottom of, say, a semi pedestal that had been, perhaps, bastardised by an angle grinder ( if that's what it took to keep the boss happy....... ;) ).

We all salute you!! 

2 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Dead man walking.....

What I would recommend is a small tiled boxing in between the existing boxing-in and the bottom of, say, a semi pedestal that had been, perhaps, bastardised by an angle grinder ( if that's what it took to keep the boss happy....... ;) ).

We all salute you!! 

the BIG problem with that is that I’ve 3 bathrooms to do.

Looks like I’ve found a nice high gloss white wall hung vanity unit with a ceramic sink AND it is the perfect height to fit above my tile shelf so no extra boxing required 

• Like 1

@Robert Clark, If you are talking about requiring bottom openings then I take it that your plumbing comes up from the floor.  In this case having pipes on the surface going into a semi pedestal is going to end up looking really tacky, IMO.   I can see only three options here:

• A full pedestal which hides the pipework.  Note that Grohe and some other supplier do a variant of the basin + semi-pedestal where the basin is wall hung and not really carried by the pedestal.  The sink can be fitted and plumbed up then the full pedestal fitted in place to hide the gubbins.
  • Some form of vanity (or half vanity) unit
  • Battening out the wall or even just a 1m wide vertical section with a 35mm stand-off and extra plasterboard layer.  This does complicate tiling slightly, but can look quite striking especially if you use a contrast tiling scheme to make a feature of the standoff.  If you do this, then remember to allow heavy duty supports behind the sink line to allow the load bearing.  The pipework can be run up the wall and up to semi-pedestal levels.  A lot cleaner IMO than a vanity unit.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, TerryE said:

@Robert Clark, If you are talking about requiring bottom openings then I take it that your plumbing comes up from the floor.  In this case having pipes on the surface going into a semi pedestal is going to end up looking really tacky, IMO.   I can see only three options here:

• A full pedestal which hides the pipework.  Note that Grohe and some other supplier do a variant of the basin + semi-pedestal where the basin is wall hung and not really carried by the pedestal.  The sink can be fitted and plumbed up then the full pedestal fitted in place to hide the gubbins.
  • Some form of vanity (or half vanity) unit
  • Battening out the wall or even just a 1m wide vertical section with a 35mm stand-off and extra plasterboard layer.  This does complicate tiling slightly, but can look quite striking especially if you use a contrast tiling scheme to make a feature of the standoff.  If you do this, then remember to allow heavy duty supports behind the sink line to allow the load bearing.  The pipework can be run up the wall and up to semi-pedestal levels.  A lot cleaner IMO than a vanity unit.

looks like vanity unit is the best option all round.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...