Are Semi Pedestals open bottomed?

Robert Clark

We've got two; neither open bottom.  One is a Grohe, IIRC.  They have a couple of special brackets which you screw to the back wall using a template.  You then position the semi-pedestal under the basin and a couple of fixings screw through the pedestal into the wall brackets holding the whole thing in position.  These have colour matching covers so the whole thing is very neat.  We've had no issues with either.

• Like 1

Just for info.. Grohe use a program called Revit from Autodesk to create their cad models (.rfa files). To view them you need the Revit CAD program or the free Viewer that comes with it. Only problem is the downloaded is 7GB even if you only want the free viewer. I'll leave it installed on my PC for a week or two in case you'd like me to look at some others but after that I'll probably uninstall it. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Robert Clark said:

Does a full pedestal support the weight of the sink?

Just thinking that fixing to our stud wall could be simpler than a wall mounted sink 

Full, to the floor, pedestal is a pita to clean around...apparently. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Robert Clark said:

Does a full pedestal support the weight of the sink?

Just thinking that fixing to our stud wall could be simpler than a wall mounted sink 

They usually take some of the weight.

And they will hide the pipes, which is what they were designed to do,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robert Clark said:

we’re working onto an already tiled surface 

Then deffo do not go for the semi-pedestal . IMO it'll look daft having pipes disappear into it after them being exposed below.

I have cut a LOT of porcelain stuff in my time, to do things like this, but it's very unnerving and some stuff didn't live to tell the tale ?  

Edited by Nickfromwales
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Then deffo do not go for the semi-pedestal . IMO it'll look daft having pipes disappear into it after them being exposed below.

I have cut a LOT of porcelain stuff in my time, to do things like this, but it's very unnerving and some stuff didn't live to tell the tale ?  

How did you cut porcelain Nick ?

5 hours ago, Robert Clark said:

How did you cut porcelain Nick ?

With one hand on the angle grinder, ( fitted with a continuous rim diamond edge blade rated for porcelain ), and the other hand on your balls.

Disclaimer : Holding balls is optional, but best to have both hands on the grinder. ;)  Slow and steady will do it, expect the porcelain not to like being cut.

• Haha 1