Recycled Type 1 crushed Hardcore - Asbestos worries. Help.

Danieluk37

Hello, Having serious health concerns with asbestos, and need to ask the experts here,(In truth, probably need re-assuring) if you have any concerns with asbestos contamination in recycled hardcore Type 1 crushed purchased from a recycle hardcore company, so not a random.

I laid 6 tons of this and never wore a mask (Foolish I know!!) and breathed a lot of dust, but now had a daunting thought! what if there was asbestos in that crushed Type 1 hardcore!??? Not slept for days with worry. Stupidly googled, and came across one firm that was fined for allowing contaminated hardcore! that sent me into panic mode. Wondering if anybody else has this concern or knowledge about how safe it is? I have spoken to my GP, about my anxiety and also the risks (if there were any) and he said, if there was any contaminates, which he does not believe there would be, it would be short exposure. That worried me more. Appreciate your time. Thanks, Daniel.

Worries. This whole building thing is a worry. The build is probably making you anxious and your brain is doing overtime.

You can't do anything about it now. I think most of us have had an asbestos exposure at some time so try to stop yourself panicking. 

As your GP said, it's unlikely to have been contaminated. You could send some samples for testing (its not that expensive) to put your mind at rest. 

Just learn what you can from the experience. Protect your lungs and put a mask on for every dusty thing (I've got asthma and I always greatly regret doing a quick job and not bothering) and make sure you and your subbies wear PPE. 

I come across bits of asbestos on my site all the time, old chap that lived here buried all his rubbish and I keep finding batteries etc. The timber and asbestos bungalow burnt down before we started and I had to clean the site and have it taken away fir disposal. In the past I used to blow the dust from brakes (asbestos) without protection. I would doubt you have a problem with such a short exposure.

Thanks Jilly,  Joe90, Yes, think i am overthinking this.  Appreciate your replies.  This is where i need to give google a rest and just read factual sites, government etc as it does appear repeated exposure over time or an overwhelming high exposure seem to be the cause of future illness.  It was probably just dust I was inhaling when I did the compacting.  I think I need to stop worrying. Thanks all 

• Like 1

My FiL who's 90 worked in the power station at one of the big local paper mills years back. The boiler (coal fired) flues back then were double skinned and filled with powdered asbestos. One day they dropped one off a crane hook filling the whole plant with dust. Thereafter he had to have a lung X-ray every year paid for by the firm until long after he retired. He's still around.

SWMBO's father also started his working life in a power station. Some pipes were lagged with asbestos. The lads working there used to throw balls of asbestos at each other for a lark. He's still in good health at nearly 87.

Thanks OnOff, David Francis.  You are all very kind for your assurances. Genuinely not slept over this.  Crazy how the brain focuses on worst case, i.e not seeing my children grow up etc. 

I do think asbestos is a dangerous material, but, some companies take advantage for their own gains, and me googling will always bring up the worse cases, so have stopped that! 

Asbestos sample testing for £19 per sample.

https://artisansurveyors.co.uk/product/asbestos-sample-analysis-service/

Most places will sell you a test kit and a sample analysis either together or separately.  This one appears to be just for the the test as their test kit is out of stock.

I've not used this company myself so this isn't a recommendation. Google for others.