Building Regs Inspection

Jay35

Hi Guys,

I am new on  here so any advice would be much appreciated. Sorry its bit of a long one. We have just started our house project building a 2 storey side extension with a single rear. Everything has been approved along with full approval of building regs. Currently I am supervising the project and getting different tradesman to do the jobs which works out to be cost effective. I have uploaded the plans for your info.

As you can see from the plans the side extension will not be straight and tilts slightly as it goes further back. So the front end of the extension will have more space compared to the rear due to the lack of space we have so we wanted to maximise as much space as possible. We had a few builders advise us that it would be best to build the extension as a right angle compared to what has been submitted in the plans due to it will be more expansive. They mentioned we will lose some space but nothing to much. So we decided to go ahead with this.  

Cut the long story short, once we saw the footings dug out, there was a lot of wasted space (shown in the photo), so we decided to go back to our original plan and dig up to the boundary wall. My dad is my neighbour so there is no issue with the boundaries, party wall etc On the day the builder dug to the boundary wall and poured the concrete I couldn't be at the site due to work commitments. The building inspection office was also attending on the same day.

On returning from work, The builder did not dig up to to the boundary wall and also left a lot of space. (Please see pic). The builder stated that the building officer had advised that there had to be some distance between the neighbours property. I was checking if anyone else had had this issue? Is this true? 

Can some one please advise? I have attached the pic of the wasted space.

1. Can the building regs officers ask you to change what is not on the plan? We have full building regs approval and I was thinking if I have had the approval then why am I am not able to dig to the boundary wall? 

2. The concrete has been poured, can we dig again the remaining areas and re-pour concrete? The builder will probably not be impressed but I want to make sure everthings is right.  The mrs is not to happy losing space and she's stressing me out too. lol

Any sort of advice will be much appreciated. 

Thanks

Screenshot 2020-07-05 at 11.25.07.png

6a993be9-ccbc-4a55-bffd-6318312739d1.JPG

29eda568-f026-48d7-a87f-b1278d9e8bf2.JPG

It does sound logical that BC

would say this But also it will make it far easier for the builder with a bit more room 

For how few BC visits there will be you should have been there or had someone representing to you 

If you need to dig more out and extend You will need to get BC back 

Surely the timeline doesn't work out?  the BCO would have only been there AFTER it was dug out. The builder obviously hasn't dug as you asked or you'd see the evidence of it being fully dug out.

I think as Nod mentioned, he's done it so it's easier for him to build..........................

Edited by Vijay

@nodHi Mate,  Thanks for the reply. What I don't get is the builder has gone to the boundary wall at the rear end and at the front but has left the centre area (marked red). If BC did have an issue I am sure they would have disapproved digging to the whole of the boundary level. 

11 minutes ago, Vijay said:

Surely the timeline doesn't work out?  the BCO would have only been there AFTER it was dug out. The builder obviously hasn't dug as you asked or you'd see the evidence of it being fully dug out.

I think as Nod mentioned, he's done it so it's easier for him to build..........................

What would you think would be the best course of action? we dont really want to lose the space as we are quite limited anyway. Once bricks/blocks etc go in the room will be narrow. 

11 minutes ago, Jay35 said:

@nodHi Mate,  Thanks for the reply. What I don't get is the builder has gone to the boundary wall at the rear end and at the front but has left the centre area (marked red). If BC did have an issue I am sure they would have disapproved digging to the whole of the boundary level. 

Your probably right 

But May leave you with a tricky conversation with your builder 

It May be that your builder Has suggested to BC that it may be prudent to do this and BC has agreed 

A word with BC would settle this 

It is difficult when you can’t be there in person But everyone should make it clear from the outset that any changes should be agreed the client before they happens 

Ring the BI and confirm he told the builder where to dig!!! As said above I don’t think he did, inspectors ussualy arrive after digging to make sure trench is deep/wide enough and clean. Them  confront the builder. Make sure you are there fir inspections in the future .

Edited by joe90

It it is your father on the other side of that fence (if I read that right) I would have got his agreement in writing to build ON the boundary and would have taken that fence down to facilitate that.  You would also need permission from your father for the eaves to overhang.

Or at least with the fence gone you could build close to the boundary so the eaves overhang stops on the boundary.

2 minutes ago, ProDave said:

It it is your father on the other side of that fence (if I read that right) I would have got his agreement in writing to build ON the boundary and would have taken that fence down to facilitate that.  You would also need permission from your father for the eaves to overhang.

Or at least with the fence gone you could build close to the boundary so the eaves overhang stops on the boundary.

But, if the foundation is up to the boundary , the wall will be centred on it leaving room for guttering etc within your space!

1 minute ago, joe90 said:

But, if the foundation is up to the boundary , the wall will be centred on it leaving room for guttering etc within your space!

The point is, if he wants the extension as wide as possible this should have been agreed with the neighbour first and the fence taken down to facilitate that.  If the neighbour chooses not to put the fence back he could gain a few inches of garden for his good will.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all your comments, its has been very helpful. One thing I forget to mention was that my father owns both properties. He lives in the next door property and i am  living in the one that is getting the work done. From a roofing/guttering perspective I don't think this should be a problem and I know he has no intentions to sell any time soon.

Edited by Jay35

1 minute ago, Jay35 said:

Thanks for all your comments, its has been very helpful. One thing I forget to mention was that my father owns both properties. He lives in the next door property and i am  living in the one that is getting the work done. From a roofing/guttering perspective I don't think this should be a problem and I know he has no intentions to sell any time soon.

So that gives even more possibilities, like he could re draw the boundaries between the 2 properties enabling you to square off the extension.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

So that gives even more possibilities, like he could re draw the boundaries between the 2 properties enabling you to square off the extension.

would definitely stop you having squiffy room shapes, just depends if you want the hassle of the change of plans (But I would). However I would still contact the BI and get him to site (when your there) to discuss.

2 minutes ago, joe90 said:

would definitely stop you having squiffy room shapes, just depends if you want the hassle of the change of plans (But I would). However I would still contact the BI and get him to site (when your there) to discuss.

Of course the time to have decided this was before you started.

My suggestion would be square off the boundary so you gain a bit and lose a bit and the net transfer of land is nil.