Adapting to Covid: MVHR vs open windows?

With lockdown being eased, we are tentatively opening up our holiday cottage for new bookings. Guidance suggests that we should leave the windows ajar between changeovers, but I was wondering if the MVHR might do a better job?

1 hour ago, Triassic said:

Will you be cleaning the MVHR filters

Not sure why you would do this, it is after all a positive pressure system so the stuff in the air from inside the house will be on the inside of the outlet filter trying to get out, or already out - small enough, and creating a fallout pattern around your exhaust outlet and there is no connection between in an out flows in most MVHR systems, other than across the roof / wall between the external inlet and outlet.

The greater risk comes surfaces not being cleaned.

I would worry more about carpets and soft furnishings.  Are you going to get those sterilised between each visit.

As for windows and MVHR, leave the MVHR on in summer bypass and open the windows.  Put a tick against it in your risk assessment check list.

51 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

Not sure why you would do this, it is after all a positive pressure system so the stuff in the air from inside the house will be on the inside of the outlet filter trying to get out, or already out - small enough, and creating a fallout pattern around your exhaust outlet and there is no connection between in an out flows in most MVHR systems, other than across the roof / wall between the external inlet and outlet.

I agree, however as the MVHR is about ventilation, probably best to address this as part of the risk assessment. If the risk is low then fine. 

Most of the property is hard surfaces (bamboo flooring) but there are big tweed curtains. I'm sure that the virus struggles to survive on rough surfaces like that, and actually lasts much longer on smooth surfaces. So things like door handles, lightswitches, and remote controls are all very high risk and will have to be disinfected.

We are working on our risk assessment at the moment, hence the question.

1 hour ago, Crofter said:

I'm sure that the virus struggles to survive on rough surfaces like that, and actually lasts much longer on smooth surfaces

What I have been lead to believe.

https://www.webmd.com/lung/how-long-covid-19-lives-on-surfaces

Not sure if they have a link to the sources.

I think there is one in the main thread about it on here.