Just unlocked my front door remotely accidentally

Pocster

5 minutes ago, ProDave said:

What was ever wrong with the old concept of needing a key in the lock and turning it to start the car?

And then the key remained captive unless you turned the key to the "stop" position and only then could you remove it.

These modern pushbutton things in cars now are a "solution" that is looking for a "problem" but in the process creates new problems.

Like putting the key down in the boot to pick up a box, closing the boot and the car locking itself automatically five minutes later, because that’s how it’s programmed by the manufacturer!

• Like 1

Did a course a while back and the instructor had had to park in a local NCP. Asked for a couple volunteers to go to his BMW and grab the course material. He watched us remotely from his phone and unlocked the boot when we got there. Said it's dead handy if out shopping and the wife / kids get back to the car before he does. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, daiking said:

He wants to let the ‘entertainment’ into the house whilst he’s supping a cocktail in the hot tub ?

That means just unlocking, they can open it - although in the Covid era maybe better of the 'entertainment' does not touch the door handle - no let them open the door, once unlocked, but fit these new fangled Silver Ion coated door handles that kill Covid. Simples!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PeterW said:

Definitely a cable. You may find the door is just being pushed open by the seals - a decent tight fitting door compresses the seals and will push open when the handle is released. 

And why do you want this “feature” anyway..? Do you let random strangers into your house from 50 miles away ..? Are you expecting the Tesco delivery driver to put the shopping away for you too ..?

Or is it for when you’ve forgotten your keys and you can get back in ..?

Out of interest - how does it behave in a power cut ..? Does it fail safe and open ..??

The only reason is when I’m in the living area underground and someone rings the doorbell I can’t be arsed to run up the stairs to open the door . With some code I can see who is at the door and open it if I wish . The fact it can be done remotely is just a by product of the system I.e everything can be accessed remotely. At least until I code it so it can’t be .

Its definitely a snug fit when the doors shut - so perhaps it is just the seals ‘pushing’ it open 

Power cut ? . Nothing happens - it doesn’t unlock when power is restored because my code controls the door lock 

Edited by pocster

24 minutes ago, pocster said:

The only reason is when I’m in the living area underground and someone rings the doorbell I can’t be arsed to run up the stairs to open the door . With some code I can see who is at the door and open it if I wish . The fact it can be done remotely is just a by product of the system I.e everything can be accessed remotely. At least until I code it so it can’t be .

Its definitely a snug fit when the doors shut - so perhaps it is just the seals ‘pushing’ it open 

Power cut ? . Nothing happens - it doesn’t unlock when power is restored because my code controls the door lock 

Yes, it is just the compression on the door seals that open it.

I have a motorised lock which I like because it gives multi point locking.  It throws the bolts in the door.

If you have an electric door keep you could fit a door closer.

3 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

Yes, it is just the compression on the door seals that open it.

I have a motorised lock which I like because it gives multi point locking.  It throws the bolts in the door.

If you have an electric door keep you could fit a door closer.

Could do . Need to check the price 

20 hours ago, Onoff said:

Did a course a while back and the instructor had had to park in a local NCP. Asked for a couple volunteers to go to his BMW and grab the course material. He watched us remotely from his phone and unlocked the boot when we got there. Said it's dead handy if out shopping and the wife / kids get back to the car before he does. 

20 hours ago, Triassic said:

Mate has a Range Rover, he can unlock it, open and close windows, set the air con, view the car security cameras etc all remotely.

And not by coincidence, these are exactly two makes of car that are constantly in the local crime reports for getting stolen off of driveways. Seems pretty common around here for the big houses to have (at least) one of each so the organised crime units seem to treat them as "nick one, nick another free" opportunities.

The BMW and range rover security is so bad you have to figure it's by design as this way they sell more from all the insurance claims. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1