New security front door and side glass

sw879

We are looking to get the front entrance of our property redone after a break in, and we’ve had quotes of £7k - £9k to do something like this (see image attached)  with P6B security glass and steel lined doors. Is that sensible, or are we being burgled (again)?

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

S

47152219-B4F7-4510-AEAA-D2526D42B878.jpeg

Sounds steep - what did you have before that they got through?

Our RK Passive door which is aluminium, triple glazed etc was £5k and is 160mm wide inc side glass, fingerprint entry etc.

Are all the rest of your entrances suitably secure? 

Wow that’s a lot of money 

I’ve seen these before a steel core and surety glass is over the top 

If you watch some of the police programs that are on tv all the time 

See the trouble they have battering a standard UPVC door down 

Cops worst enemy was how one described the plastic doors 

You can add laminated glass to either side for extra security 

for much less than you have been quoted 

How much did they steal? How much damage did they do.

Insurance will pay to repair /replace door like for like.  did they steal more than £7-9K worth?

Make one door more secure, they will enter through a different one or just heave a brick through a window.

Ok so all of that is dependent on frame and the locks. Start with multipoint and ensure the mechanism can take an Ultion euro barrel. Frame needs to be reinforced which should be standard in UPVC but surprisingly isn’t in some designs. The side lights cause issues with structure to the hinge side but nothing that can’t be designed out.   

All glazing needs to be internally beaded, and then security taped in - I would make the top light of 6.4 laminate with the number in the middle pane made of frosted glass, then another layer of 6.4 laminate. 

Side lights I would break up into 3 sections - big enough to let light in, small enough that the cannot be used for access. Again, triple glazed and use the same make up as above 6.4L - 4 - 6.4L. Getting through that will make a lot of noise ..!

Next - sort the lighting in the stairwell and make it clear that it has CCTV - dual cameras if necessary. That will make your average criminal think twice and walk off somewhere else. 

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for your helpful replies.

They only stole some builders tools but they had put paper inside the lock and the police said that this is because they wanted to come back again later.

@PeterW thank you. What do you mean by  6.4L - 4 - 6.4L.?

This is what one company has quoted us for:-

Security Level Door size 1940x1450. With two glazed side panels.  

Cludding: 

External: EDM, RAL colour

Internal: UMIDAX, RAL colour

Glazing:

Side panel P6B security glass

Main lock:

FIAM ISEO R6, key/bturn, securiti level 6

Total cost:- £6,000 plus VAT

i have no idea what any of this means other than P6B is burglar resist glass.

does this price sound reasonble?

thank you all again

P6B is just armoured glass - it basically will take an axe. Thermally it is crap, and needs to be built into a DG or 3G unit to become thermally efficient.

Sounds like you have an empty house..? Assume they went after it because they could see it was not alarmed/CCTV due to work ongoing and were after the tools. I would be putting a fairly strong but reasonably priced frame in - and I would also consider moving the door as the hinge side fixed to a solid wall is much stronger.

@sw879 apologies - 6.4L is 6.4mm laminated glass

28 minutes ago, sw879 said:

Total cost:- £6,000 plus VAT

i have no idea what any of this means other than P6B is burglar resist glass.

does this price sound reasonble?

Solidor composite with Ultion plus 3G And Secured by design is change of £2k inc VAT. 

• Like 1

On 03/07/2020 at 20:29, PeterW said:

Solidor composite with Ultion plus 3G And Secured by design is change of £2k inc VAT. 

Thank you so much @PeterW you have been immensely helpful!

We decided to go with another provider for a composite door and it’s come to just over £4,500 inc VAT which is a lot cheaper and they’ve got really good reviews too.

We have a secondary door which we are considering putting a smart lock on. We were going to go with Yale but after your suggestion of Ultion locks, we are looking at their smart locks too which seem just as good, if not better.

thank you again

s

• Like 1