Garden Room budget estimate

daiking

How to provide basic hand washing when there is no water supply or waste system?

my shed is going to be below the drains and I’m not going to be able to put a legal water supply in (750mm depth etc) + I’m sort of worried about having an infinite supply of water into somewhere without any sort of drain. So the obvious solution here is caravan/boat plumbing! 

If there is a small bar/counter in my shed, I am proposing to have a small freshwater tank I can fill with a hose, with a pump and micro switch tap, a tiny hand wash type basin (<300mm dia) and a portable wastewater tank. Similar to that of a caravan but in a shed.

Components is easy, how the connect together, not so much. I could ditch the 12v pump for a foot operated one to make things even simpler.

@daiking keep an eye out on eBay for camper van kitchenette units - my mate picked one up for £150 and it has a fridge, 2 burner hob and sink in it and that got installed in his man cave / bar / bbq area with a couple of solar panels on the roof and a 12v lorry battery all through a cheap eBay charge controller. He’s got a USB powered speaker system and LED lights and has no issues with even powering the fridge etc

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Or put the water tank high up on a shelf and have gravity feed to the tap.

An elegant solution in it’s physics, but ugly in practice. Needs to be hidden away.

18 minutes ago, PeterW said:

@daiking keep an eye out on eBay for camper van kitchenette units - my mate picked one up for £150 and it has a fridge, 2 burner hob and sink in it and that got installed in his man cave / bar / bbq area with a couple of solar panels on the roof and a 12v lorry battery all through a cheap eBay charge controller. He’s got a USB powered speaker system and LED lights and has no issues with even powering the fridge etc

It’s a great idea but the issue will be finding that eBay unicorn that I need. I expect I’ll end up putting those type components into a worktop of my own instead. 

Planning on full electrics as well so don’t need a full 12v system and could run a portable hob so don’t need a gas one.

15 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Okay a cupboard with a door on it to hide the tank then.

Wouldn’t you just hide it on the floor behind something? Won’t a 12v submersible pump run off a simple 240v transformer like 12v led lights?

52 minutes ago, daiking said:

Wouldn’t you just hide it on the floor behind something? Won’t a 12v submersible pump run off a simple 240v transformer like 12v led lights?

Yes caravan systems usually work on a pressure switch.  The pump stops and starts on pressure.  So you just open a tap as normal, the pressure drops and the pump starts. When you close the tap the pressure builds up and the pump stops.

As this is just relatively clean hand washing water and not very much of it, how about (cough) just draining it to a soakaway a little bit away from the shed?  If you have a rainwater soakaway for the shed send it there?  But don't tell anyone.

56 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Yes caravan systems usually work on a pressure switch.  The pump stops and starts on pressure.  So you just open a tap as normal, the pressure drops and the pump starts. When you close the tap the pressure builds up and the pump stops.

As this is just relatively clean hand washing water and not very much of it, how about (cough) just draining it to a soakaway a little bit away from the shed?  If you have a rainwater soakaway for the shed send it there?  But don't tell anyone.

No soak away and I’m next to a watercourse. Don’t mind emptying a containers occasionally. Only grey water and can put bleach/disinfectant in it during use.

Something like this as a transformer?

https://www.jacksonsleisure.com/dometic/waeco/mps35/mains/adaptor

I know a led transformer won’t work.

4 hours ago, ProDave said:

Okay a cupboard with a door on it to hide the tank then.

That would be my choice too, high level cupboard

with some sort of connection point outside so I could connect the garden hose to top up a large tank 

https://www.screwfix.com/p/polytank-cold-water-cube-tank-20gallon-uk-515-x-515-x-530mm/34521?tc=MC3&ds_kid=92700055281954502&ds_rl=1249404&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIycTH5uqg7wIVRemyCh1LiABZEAQYAiABEgIjK_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

header tank or coffin type tank with a ballcock to stop overfilling

1 hour ago, TonyT said:

with some sort of connection point outside so I could connect the garden hose to top up a large tank 

https://www.screwfix.com/p/polytank-cold-water-cube-tank-20gallon-uk-515-x-515-x-530mm/34521?tc=MC3&ds_kid=92700055281954502&ds_rl=1249404&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIycTH5uqg7wIVRemyCh1LiABZEAQYAiABEgIjK_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Gosh that’s expensive for a plastic water tank ?

2 hours ago, TonyT said:

I appreciate the thought but I think a 100 gallon tank is going to be a bitt OTT for my needs. 

• 4 weeks later...

What’s the power requirements for the new cabin?

where is the house in relation to the cabin for getting power? 
do you have a route for a swa cable run?

do you have a new consumer unit with RCD’s?

5 minutes ago, TonyT said:

What’s the power requirements for the new cabin?

where is the house in relation to the cabin for getting power? 
do you have a route for a swa cable run?

do you have a new consumer unit with RCD’s?

Basic premise is here:

not intending to hard wire a hot tub. 

house CU was installed in 2015, not metal cased. 

conduit in place for swa cable between house and cabin.

Sounds expensive, just do it yourself and everyone will talk you through it. You have a cable to the outside anyway so the hard work is done 

then get someone to test it, by the brick work you have done earlier  I think your attention to detail for doing the electrical will produce a good standard 

9 hours ago, TonyT said:

Sounds expensive, just do it yourself and everyone will talk you through it. You have a cable to the outside anyway so the hard work is done 

then get someone to test it, by the brick work you have done earlier  I think your attention to detail for doing the electrical will produce a good standard 

I wouldn’t go that far and I’m quite happy to pay a reasonable price. 

• 3 weeks later...