Quick Garden Log Cabin - disaster from the word go

Hi

Ok am in dire straits.
ackground - Can't get a mortgage now due to the Coronavirus so having to build a log cabin for the family and stay in that for x amount of years whilst we build the house bit by bit. Thankfully we are better off than most so am grateful i can even be having this dilemma. 
We bought  log cabin last year to build in the spring so my 90 year old mum can live in. We bought it from Quick Garden because of the good reviews on trustpilot so back in October we awaited delivery. We live on a  laneway that was big enough for the lorry they had used on their website plus I sent them photos and maps of the area. However they arrive in a massive lorry which can't get down the laneway so dump the wood hundreds of metres from the site on a football pitch parking rea on a Saturday afternoon (see pics). Yep you guessed it the local team were playing that day and I had to leave the wood there till they finished. I then phoned a car break down truck and hired a telehandler Cost £250. Long story short - Managed to get it to site but not being experienced with telehandler The first crate took a nose dive and broke some wood. ? Oh and the price dropped £2k by the time it was delivered too so not a great start.

Cut to now and my dilemma. See the attached pdf scan of the instructions if anyone can make any sense of this. I am a competent handyman with most of the tools , table saw, compound mitre saw  etc and know my way around a diagram having part designed the house and put dozens of ikea furniture together (not sure which was the hardest ?
The instructions are written for a small shed type structure and not the 8.7m x 5m cabin we bought. there is no description as to what the bearers are or how to identify them. I have sent 3 emails to the company and do get a reply but doesn't answer my query. See below:
We purchased a log cabin from you end of last year ( Crossgar). Due to major problems (live electrical cable found on land) and of course the coronavirus we are only now trying to build it on our own. We really don’t know where to start. The instructions are not pertinent to the cabin we have bought (Argo). For example it says in the instructions to screw the bearers to the foundations. image.png.782a5bef4346a954e5c57047c29b8ae8.png image.png.b6a243eed888bdc5348ab35881e112ed.pngand as you can see the bearers are in singles but if you look at the diagram showing (I assume as no instructions to inform us) there are 3 bearers together image.png.60bf8091627df20e6aa286ed3dc54d23.png .
My question was exactly which parts are the floor bearers? Is it NR 110 and NR 96 which when added together make the outside dimensions 8.7m? If so do we nail these pieces of wood together to form the outside perimeter? In total are the bearers the following part nos? 110, 96 and 91?

I also wanted to know if it was possible to get a short summary of each of the pages i.e. image.png.8878cd3bfff74bffac0aa08d5088d7bd.png what is this of?

I was asking if the perimeter bearers were made up of the 3 pieces of wood 110,96 and across 91 (not marked on the wood had to measure and find ourselves ) that were shown in the diagram (again not identified as floor bearers).

their reply.

Thank you for your email. 

The pressure treated floor bearers and a massive wooden timber frame the cabin sits on are 2 different things. 

First, you need to assemble a timber frame base as per the instructions (consisting of 2 parts).

Then, you put pressure treated floor bearers on top of this and start assembly of the cabin.

Hope that helps. 

It didn't
I did a mock up of what a drawing in their booklet may be and asked for confirmation but as yet no reply. 

image.png.b13a35d6e055fcdc08563337f2c2685b.png
All joiners are fully booked for months around here (limited supply this neck of the woods) and hoping someone can make sense of the instructions and talk to me in plain English. If possible I will pay someone to help me out here if anyone knows anyone who they think can help me. 

Many thanks

Scan 1 Jul 2020.pdf Scan 1 Jul 2020 (1).pdf instructions.pdf

Edited by SHughesNI
To add photos of my setup

EDIT: Just seen your picture you added at the end, yep looks correct.

Are you building this off a slab or a timber ring beam that is resting on piers?

This to me looks like a birds eye view plan of a timber ring beam for a twin unit log cabin/caravan. So that's three timbers staggered to make a solid rigid floor structure. This would be built on top of piers placed at all corners and near load bearing walls. Did they supply all the materials for this? This is your foundation plan (timber suspended floor)

image.png.60bf8091627df20e6aa286ed3dc54d23.png

This looks like a pressure treated sill plate that you screw down on top of the foundation beams above. That you then build the log cabin off of.

image.png.8878cd3bfff74bffac0aa08d5088d7bd.png

Edited by iSelfBuild
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SHughesNI said:

The pressure treated floor bearers and a massive wooden timber frame the cabin sits on are 2 different things. First, you need to assemble a timber frame base as per the instructions (consisting of 2 parts).

Then, you put pressure treated floor bearers on top of this and start assembly of the cabin.

It looks like the "massive wooden frame" isn't detailed in the Instructions.pdf file or the video.

I think @iSelfBuild is correct. 

I would reply asking if drawing 5442 "Side A"  and "Side B" is the "Massive timber frame" he refers to.

34 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

Did you watch the instructional video??

https://www.quick-garden.co.uk/assembly/

Link is in the DIY installation section.

Yep. Saw this video and again the video is for a smaller cabin with single small bearers.  Or maybe thats what I have got? But the only pressurized timber I could find relates to the numbers 96 and 110 which when you place together make up 8.5m which is the interior length of the cabin. So putting 2 + 2 together and hopefully making 4 am assuming the 3 bits of timber are as iselfbuild said the foundations

Thanks for reply. 

1 hour ago, iSelfBuild said:

EDIT: Just seen your picture you added at the end, yep looks correct.

Are you building this off a slab or a timber ring beam that is resting on piers?

This to me looks like a birds eye view plan of a timber ring beam for a twin unit log cabin/caravan. So that's three timbers staggered to make a solid rigid floor structure. This would be built on top of piers placed at all corners and near load bearing walls. Did they supply all the materials for this? This is your foundation plan (timber suspended floor)

This is going to be built off concrete tyre piers. I cant build it on slab as planning will see it as a permanent structure. I looked at how they built a church in tulse hill on tyre piers using tyres and gravel and will be doing the same but with concrete under the tyres too.  

They supplied the timber but as I said there is no marking on the timber or on the instructions for what constitutes the floor bearers. Totally different from the video on their website and the first part of their instruction booklet.

3 minutes ago, SHughesNI said:

only pressurized timber I could find relates to the numbers 96 and 110

96 and 110 is written on drawing "Side A" and "Side B"

94 is written on the bearer drawing.

Can you find parts 94?

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

This is why for temporary accommodations, a static caravan is SO much easier, and probably a lot cheaper.

I have been living in a caravan since March. No running water and no electricity just solar. Not pleasant. I have 3 young boys and it gets very windy down here. 50mph winds just the other day and it felt like the caravn would take off and I doubt if a static would be any better. It is going to take a us a few years to build the house possibly 4 so want something decent for my family to be housed in during that time. The experience of building the log cabin installing the utilities will surely help us when building the house too. In theory anyways ?

Edited by SHughesNI
spelling

1 hour ago, SHughesNI said:

The pressure treated floor bearers and a massive wooden timber frame the cabin sits on are 2 different things. 

First, you need to assemble a timber frame base as per the instructions (consisting of 2 parts).

OK I reckon the "2 parts" he refers to are "Side A" and "Side B" build from parts 91, 96 and 110.

Then the bearer frame on top build from parts 94 and 106.

Edited by Temp
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Temp said:

96 and 110 is written on drawing "Side A" and "Side B"

94 is written on the bearer drawing.

Can you find parts 94?

There is a 94 . The question then is which diagram shows the floor bearers ? the one that says Side A and Side B or the one showing the timber with wood nrs 94 and 106?

53 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

Did you watch the instructional video??

https://www.quick-garden.co.uk/assembly/

Link is in the DIY installation section.

yep. useless. It shows a smaller cabin going up with smaller bits of timber as floor bearers

oops already answerd. Not sure how to answer a post?  have been clicking on quote then replying

Edited by SHughesNI

4 minutes ago, SHughesNI said:

There is a 94 . The question then is which diagram shows the floor bearers ? the one that says Side A and Side B or the one showing the timber with wood nrs 94 and 106?

It would help if they had numbered the drawings.

Its as @iSelfBuild suggested..

This one is the "massive frame" in two parts (A and B) that goes down first. Build from parts 91, 96 and 110.

394718163_MassiveFrame.png.790df1fbe8ca0a535e219c2d9112adaa.png

This one is the bearer frame that goes on top. Build from parts 94 and 106.

487751747_BearerFrame.png.09f516cc6f2d9da27a6ea7fa4bf78674.png

17 minutes ago, Temp said:

OK I reckon the "2 parts" he refers to are "Side A" and "Side B" build from parts 91, 96 and 110.

Then the bearer frame on top build from parts 94 and 106.

Ok are you saying these go down first?
bearers_(1).thumb.jpg.e8d1ce5ddf9f8a83fb0d67192e51f663.jpg

then these are laid on top?
1091204758_bearers(2).thumb.jpg.198e247bb72ea26b64573f6bcc2eb446.jpg

OOps I think you may have already answered this question.

It just seems so much different from their video where it shows a thin bearer supporting the wall timber. Here I have 3 timbers in line with the no 106 on top of that and then the wall boards. 

Edited by SHughesNI

Do they not have any bolting patterns etc for the timber floor beams?

These are quite handy for self build foundations for smaller log cabins as you don't need to worry about levels or casting pad stones in the right place: https://easypads.co.uk

Watch this channels videos too, it should help you figure things out: 

58 minutes ago, SHughesNI said:

Ok are you saying these go down first?
bearers_(1).thumb.jpg.e8d1ce5ddf9f8a83fb0d67192e51f663.jpg

then these are laid on top?
1091204758_bearers(2).thumb.jpg.198e247bb72ea26b64573f6bcc2eb446.jpg

OOps I think you may have already answered this question.

It just seems so much different from their video where it shows a thin bearer supporting the wall timber. Here I have 3 timbers in line with the no 106 on top of that and then the wall boards. 

Yes their video is for a solid concrete slab, can't believe how shoddy their instructions are to be honest!

Edited by iSelfBuild

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/07/2020 at 10:24, SHughesNI said:

just a quick follow up. I will upload some photos during this process just in case it may help anyone who has had the same problems.

I'm interested to see them. Especially the timber ring beam construction. What dimensions where the outer timber for that?

Can't help with the log build but can offer some moral support wrt living in temp accommodation !

We lived 18 mo in a 40x12ft static in garden with two kids who were late primary school age then. Was pokey but we made the best of it.

My top tip is to use a dehumidifier to reduce moisture in the caravan and to provide a bit of background heat, if you use gas heaters you will get a lot of water vapour which will condense out overnight and will leave a cold and damp floor the next day.

When you move into your new house, you'll look back on the caravan and cabin and wonder how you ever survived it :)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

Can't help with the log build but can offer some moral support wrt living in temp accommodation !

We lived 18 mo in a 40x12ft static in garden with two kids who were late primary school age then. Was pokey but we made the best of it.

My top tip is to use a dehumidifier to reduce moisture in the caravan and to provide a bit of background heat, if you use gas heaters you will get a lot of water vapour which will condense out overnight and will leave a cold and damp floor the next day.

When you move into your new house, you'll look back on the caravan and cabin and wonder how you ever survived it :)

I quite liked living in a touring caravan for 16 months haha. The saving grace was ripping out the gas fire and fitting a micro log burner.

1522850_756021197751295_1884324314_o.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, iSelfBuild said:

I quite liked living in a touring caravan for 16 months haha. The saving grace was ripping out the gas fire and fitting a micro log burner.

So did I, was the rest of the family that hated it :)

On 17/07/2020 at 08:11, iSelfBuild said:

1522850_756021197751295_1884324314_o.jpg

Gas fire? That's luxury that is. All I've got is a box of MATCHES - not looking forward to Winter :)

Have to say that looks ingenious. If I had any space I'd think about doing that myself but mine is a 2 berth. Not enough room to swing a flea let alone a cat.