External Build to house Megaflo Tank.

Tanz

Hello Members, 

I’m a new member, after reading a lot of feeds from members on Buildhub I quickly realised how many experts were actually on this sit and helpful this site is. 

I thought id join and pick your brains, be grateful for your help.

Recently completed a kitchen extension then had an after thought of installing a mega flow, friend did me a real good deal on a 300L, problem is there’s absolutely nowhere in our home to place it so decided to one place would be outside our extension. Building Control came, passed the extension and advised me that the build to hold the mega flow cannot directly touch the extension in any way, pipes from internal boiler to external megaflo is fine.

I wanted to ask if anyone could suggest how and what is actually required, any special flooring (foundation), thickness of wall, with or without insulation, suggest which type of roof required, basically all. 

I have a small area available just outside current extension so would like least space used as possible. 

Your suggestions, guidance and ideas will be most welcomed. Thank you.

2 hours ago, Tanz said:

advised me that the build to hold the mega flow cannot directly touch the extension in any way,

Did he say why?

I can't think of a Building Regs reason but can think of a few possible planning reasons.

6 hours ago, PeterW said:

Welcome

Attic..!!! It would be a better location than building an outdoor store for a tank that would need frost protection, cabling for immersion heaters etc

It would need to be a big attic to get that upright and to bear the weight in that one spot?

7 hours ago, Tanz said:

friend did me a real good deal on a 300L

Is it too late to get a horizontal tank and put it up the attic?image.thumb.jpg.04734eaf07cc05684579d26a21aec533.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.16ea999a469a808646aaec2ef059481f.jpg

That helped spread the load out and keep a central walk through clear.

Hi All, sorry for my delayed response and thanks for your comments and suggestions.

Attic is a no no, already had a loft conversion and my 24yrs young son has turned it into his penthouse, no space for the tank.

Building control didn’t actually say why the build to hold the tank cannot touch the extension, I will ask and place response on this post.

The only reason why I have decided to have the tank placed outside is because from the inside of my home there is absolutely no access to a gully for the hot water drainage. I have large enough space under the staircase, across to all required water pipes and electrics but no way of running a drainage pipe through 8 meters of built in kitchen, underfloor heating and tiled flooring. I’ve had numerous professional people round who agreed that the only way is to place the tank outside (should have planned for the Megaflo-my fault). 

Sent an email to BC requested info on requirements foundations, particular bricks, insulation requirements all that but would like first hand advice or pictures of a build that I can follow to ensure my tank is protected from all types of weather.

Again Peter, Temp and Nick I’d appreciate all your kind advice. Thanks.

12 hours ago, PeterW said:

So go with a thermal store instead ..??

He means an open vented one like the Telford Tristor ;) No need for discharge pipe then as it has a manual fill header tank, eg not pressurised, but a has a mains pressurised instantaneous DHW coil sat in the heated water to give mains pressure balanced DHW and plenty of it. Only ball-ache is it has higher standing losses which would be exaggerated by the lower external temp outdoors in winter. 

Edited by Nickfromwales

2 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Only ball-ache is it has higher standing losses which would be exxegerated by the lower external temp outdoors in winter. 

and if it’s under the stairs then it’s inside ... ?

On 30/06/2020 at 21:21, Nickfromwales said:

It would need to be a big attic to get that upright and to bear the weight in that one spot?

Is it too late to get a horizontal tank and put it up the attic?image.thumb.jpg.04734eaf07cc05684579d26a21aec533.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.16ea999a469a808646aaec2ef059481f.jpg

That helped spread the load out and keep a central walk through clear.

That looks nice and easy to swap out if it fails.  Just trim back some of those angled wood things I guess and out she slips!