Scaffolding

Taff

Looking to sort some scaffolding prior to sips install then stonework. Builder has quoted me £7k is this price ok? 

Anyone any idea how much scaffolding would cost to purchase, an amount for a standard 2 storey build?

anyone have any prices/quotes for the north east area?

cheers 

Wow.....I paid just under £3500 iirc. Ill check later. Thats for 12wks, 9% per wk after that.

I've a SIP build - think I reach week 12 in another week or so. I got the scaffolders to zero rate the labour though, so I know that out of that 3.5k it's around 2k for the scaff which leaves me paying around £200 for each week overrun. 

I expect the overrun will be about 3/4 wks.

My scaff is for a 170m2 footprint. Two lifts around house. Two hop up lifts on gable. Another hop up lift on the side extension.

While there’s no such thing as overruns on site 

Scaffold companies will sting one off jobs 

I was quoted 8 weeks before extra charges kicked in 

Thats for a tradition built five bed 

in Winter Barrets would struggle with that 

I paid 2400  No vat Allowing 10 weeks to build and slate 

Dropped and rebuilt for render 

Allowing four more weeks 

Two grace then £40 a week 

Three years ago 

Most seem to be Quoting around £20 m2 locally to me now 

I negotiated a self build deal with the scaffolding boss where I had it for as long as I wanted for a fixed price and another fixed price for each alteration. IIRC I paid £2500 and had it for fourteen months and paid £100 for each alteration, but that was nine years ago.

I found the scaffers the only unpleasant and slightly dodgy trade I had during the whole build - my other trades said that they can be known for arriving on site at 7am 'well refreshed' and are strong as anything (if you've ever tried to lift a 12ft pole, never mind vertically so are not to be messed with. A majority are, I'm sure, perfectly honest and decent.

My TF crew knocked the scaff about quite a bit during the build as it didn't quite fit and we had a bit of ground settlement that made it sag in a few places. Luckily the render crew fixed it all up themselves so the scaff vendor could not complain (but they did try to stick me for more ££).

However the window fitter did trim a few poles with a disc cutter and left the bits on show and they were proper p'd off when they saw those - so put yours in the skip :)

Scaff crews are also notorious about leaving it up (for free) on a site until they can take it directly to another site vs back to a depot, so be as strict about the 'off site' date as you are about other elements of the contract. I withheld a final payment to encourage them to take it down on time.

Best to get your plan clearly defined (perimeter, lifts and adaptions) and then get two or three to quote and keep going round until you get the best price - there seems to be a lot of price elasticity depending on how busy they are.

15 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

However the window fitter did trim a few poles with a disc cutter and left the bits on show and they were proper p'd off when they saw those - so put yours in the skip :)

I use a cordless recip saw to modify.  You can round off any sharp bits of the cut with a lump hammer.

4 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

I use a cordless recip saw to modify.  You can round off any sharp bits of the cut with a lump hammer.

Yep, however the fitter left the foot lengths of off cuts laying about so pretty obvious what had happened :)

32 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

I found the scaffers the only unpleasant and slightly dodgy trade I had during the whole build - my other trades said that they can be known for arriving on site at 7am 'well refreshed' and are strong as anything (if you've ever tried to lift a 12ft pole, never mind vertically so are not to be messed with. ...

Locally, I have it on excellent authority,  one or two firms tend to get half their pay in (excellent quality) white powder.