I want to make a brick. How hard can it be?

Construction Channel

2 minutes ago, Construction Channel said:

I would much prefer to muddle along trying different things by myself without other people interfering (trying to make me do it properly)

That's exactly why online self-paced learning is so popular. Dip in, out, ignore, skip, yes i like this bit, I'll watch / listen.

Just right for you Ed

• Like 1

The Graves family:

Ed: where would i get some clay to make red bricks?

Mum and Dad: why?

Ed: I want to make a brick.

Dad: go and dig a hole in brick kiln field,

Ed: we haven't got a "brick kiln field"

Dad: we used to, its at the bottom of "Throssles" down by the riding stables, got ploughed in a long time ago.

Ed: Nice, thanks dad

Mum: the Schweres (local family) have got a kiln.

Ed: oh yeah, thanks mum.

Things are looking up :) 

• Like 1

Quickest is probably to open the PDF in Acrobat then use Windows Snipping Tool to do a screen grab or use Shutter in Ubuntu etc.

Unless you've say full Acrobat and can save as a .jpg or .png etc

Edited by Onoff
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Sorry, I've got nothing being laser or water jet cut at the mo but how about this place:

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=261235174760&category=31587&pm=1&ds=0&t=1482361428380

Have used these in the past:

http://www.essexlaser.co.uk

Mdf would be good for the dust to stick to inside the mould but I'm favouring towards the pressing into the surface idea,

in that case i could well just buy some acrylic ones from eBay , good idea :) 

1 minute ago, Onoff said:

Some of those stones / plaques have a date on top.

Just complicating things for you!

amusingly we have already got a brick that Faye's aunt got made for us. ill have to get a picture of it tomorrow, but its got 2011 on it xD 

I don't think she realised how long it would take to get from concept to built ......

surprisingly there are very few good videos of the whole process,

I did consider cutting and sticking the bricks to start with. I have done it before when the customer didn't want to pay for the cant bricks to be made but iv done that before and it wasn't exactly thrilling,

now making a kiln....... I haven't tried that before and it involves a big fire!! who doesn't like playing with fire???

I'm going to put 4 layers of bricks in a mesh patten at the bottom to try to keep the flames away from my new bricks, also if it will fit I'm hoping to get 2 layers all the way round it inside the barrel. 

in those outside 2 layers I'm hoping to use them to hold some iron bars across the centre to hold my bricks apart.....  thats the plan at least ;)