Corner opening sliders

Thorfun

morning,

we have a nice garden room in our plans where the corner of it opens up.1304384480_Screenshot2020-06-19at12_39_40.thumb.png.29f40a9c46c6b892db149187fd9d4a5b.png

we're finalising quotes for windows and doors and one manufacturer has said that they don't offer that sort of glass to glass corner openings as, in their experience, they cannot get them airtight, secure and watertight. but Internorm has said that they can do it and I've been supplied photos of one of their clients sites showing it being done. (not sure if I can/should post photos of a site without the owners permission).

has anyone got any experience with what we're trying to achieve and managed to successfully achieve it without sacrificing air/water tightness and security?

OK... I don't think that can be built..!

The structural steelwork needed for a cantilever that size - given there are no opposing corners for placing pillars etc means that the roof would be "floating" over nothing.

I would suggest you get an SEng to look this over before you commit to anything as that could become a very very expensive garden room

3 minutes ago, PeterW said:

OK... I don't think that can be built..!

The structural steelwork needed for a cantilever that size - given there are no opposing corners for placing pillars etc means that the roof would be "floating" over nothing.

I would suggest you get an SEng to look this over before you commit to anything as that could become a very very expensive garden room

we have an external post holding the roof up. it's not obvious on the plans but is the circle outside of the corner doors.

we'll probably have one in the other corner of that elevation as well to support the overhang if required.

Edited by Thorfun

1 minute ago, Thorfun said:

we have an external post holding the roof up. it's not obvious on the plans but is the circle outside of the corner doors.

we'll probably have one in the other corner of that elevation as well to support the overhang if required.

the external post will be moved a bit away from the house btw, so it's further away from the doors. it will go at the corner of the overhang. 

hope that makes sense. if not I can add it to the drawing.

1 minute ago, Russell griffiths said:

Have you priced them. I bet that’s £10,000 plus for those two doors. 

yes we have and yes it is.

but when it's your forever home sometimes you just have to push the boat out a little bit. we'll have the rest of our lives to pay it off.

Just now, Thorfun said:

yes we have and yes it is.

but when it's your forever home sometimes you just have to push the boat out a little bit. we'll have the rest of our lives to pay it off.

That’s cool as long as you knew where you are heading. 

Lots of people with champagne taste and a beer budget. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Thorfun said:

all the steelwork has already been quoted for in the TF quotes. 

Has been it quoted fully finished..?? There is a lot of difference between a mill finish post that will be clad, and a fully finished column that is visible

35 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Has been it quoted fully finished..?? There is a lot of difference between a mill finish post that will be clad, and a fully finished column that is visible

I assume you're talking about the external post(s) holding up the roof? if so, then no, not fully finished but I would presume that we will clad it in the same timber that the garden room will be clad in. not gone into those details yet, the architect is in the process of drawing up the detailed drawings and once we've got the SE and TF company involved we'll know more about the final positions and requirements for them.