Hi All,

I have searched high and low for the difinitive answer to no avail. Perhaps I have been using the wrong search term.

In essance, I am moving to a bungalow in a rural location on approximately 1 acre. It will be my sole residence and is not a conservation area, heritage site etc and is not listed.

It is in a CIL area. I understand, mostly, how CIL works. However, is it an accumalative charge?

Initially I want to build a storage building of approximately 120m2 in one corner and demolish a dilapidated storage building, still in use, of about 25m2 in another corner. New floor area 95m2.

The building will be within permitted development rights, no article 4 in force. All good so far. I believe I will need to apply for the CIL releif before starting etc and I believe there will be no CIL as it is under 100m2.

But...... I also want  to build an extension under 100m2 six months to a year later and possibly build another storage building under 100m2.

Will the floor area of the first building need to be added to the floor area of the extension, and possibly second storage building for calculating CIL for those structures? Or is it only applicable to each new structure prior to construction.

i.e. could I build 10 structures under 100m2, within permitted development, several months apart without incurring CIL?

(I am not doing by the way!)

For example everything you build is a percentage of the original plot and adds up as you go, but does CIL work the same?

Thanks for any advice.

• 4 weeks later...

My understanding is that this is down to the planning, it was as part of my planning that they told me that CIL was due.  So, I would suggest asking your local planning dept.

With CIL it is better to be safe than sorry.

On 28/06/2020 at 21:23, Freddieab said:

Initially I want to build a storage building of approximately 120m2 in one corner and demolish a dilapidated storage building, still in use, of about 25m2 in another corner. New floor area 95m2.

The building will be within permitted development rights, no article 4 in force. All good so far. I believe I will need to apply for the CIL releif before starting etc and I believe there will be no CIL as it is under 100m2.

Im pretty sure you have that wrong. My understanding  is that the 100sqm rule is just a test not an allowance. It applies to the new area before deducting the demolished area. So the calculation would be..

120sqm is more than 100sqm so the CIL applies to all 120sqm. Then the 25sqm is deducted giving a CIL liability on 95sqm.

PS the 25sqm building must be in lawful use to be counted. Eg it must be legal in planning terms.

Edited by Temp

On 28/06/2020 at 21:23, Freddieab said:

But...... I also want  to build an extension under 100m2 six months to a year later and possibly build another storage building under 100m2.

Will the floor area of the first building need to be added to the floor area of the extension, and possibly second storage building for calculating CIL for those structures? Or is it only applicable to each new structure prior to construction.

i.e. could I build 10 structures under 100m2, within permitted development, several months apart without incurring CIL?

(I am not doing by the way!)

I believe the extension would be treated as a new and separate calculation. It's under 100sqm so the CIL would not apply. Even if it did (eg a 113sqm extension) there is an exemption for "self build" extensions. However you have to claim the exemption using the right forms or you become liable to pay it.