Tiny houses ?

Waterworks

13 hours ago, the_r_sole said:

The thing that needs to chage, rather than the size of house, is the fascination with home ownership! I think there are much more innovative solutions in ideas like co-housing where you have a mix of private space and then shared facilities which you can access...

Horses for courses and all that. Our goal was to not even share a boundary with another house never mind facilities.

As for size my wife thinks that our 2 bedroom with 150sqm plus a separate garage (I hate the term man cave but in reality it is one) is too small. I think it's more than enough for two people.

8 minutes ago, Ralph said:

As for size my wife thinks that our 2 bedroom with 150sqm plus a separate garage (I hate the term man cave but in reality it is one) is too small. I think it's more than enough for two people.

Do you mind me asking how the 150m2 has been calculated. Is it gross internal area, gross external area or net internal area (excluding internal walls).

If it wasn't for us being an AONB etc I'd have built a green roofed, passive esque "tiny house" for my lad (and I've have finished it). Got the land, no overlooking neighbours etc. Then there's council tax implications too. Barstewards!  An Englishman's home etc. I think even a garden room is a no no where I am without pp. When you consider what the illegal beds in sheds brigade get up to.

1 hour ago, PeterStarck said:

Do you mind me asking how the 150m2 has been calculated. Is it gross internal area, gross external area or net internal area (excluding internal walls).

It's gross internal although there is a 12sqm covered balcony on top of that.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Onoff said:

If it wasn't for us being an AONB etc I'd have built a green roofed, passive esque "tiny house" for my lad (and I've have finished it). Got the land, no overlooking neighbours etc. Then there's council tax implications too. Barstewards!  An Englishman's home etc. I think even a garden room is a no no where I am without pp. When you consider what the illegal beds in sheds brigade get up to.

So why not do the proper tiny house on wheels thing then...?? Gets round the PP issue

1 minute ago, PeterW said:

So why not do the proper tiny house on wheels thing then...?? Gets round the PP issue

Is it as long as it's on wheels or as long as it can be moved? Could you substitute lifting eyes for wheels?

18 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Is it as long as it's on wheels or as long as it can be moved? Could you substitute lifting eyes for wheels?

Yes but why bother as to be honest a set of steel wheels can be had for £100 in most reclaim yards

1 minute ago, SteamyTea said:

I know of a man with a shed that has a set of Crapi wheels that are worth less than that.

Take a look at Capri part prices and you might change your tune. Silly money and then some!

21 hours ago, Ralph said:

Horses for courses and all that. Our goal was to not even share a boundary with another house never mind facilities.

to be fair 150m2 is a huge 2 bed, and miles away from a tiny house - you haven't made the choice between owning somewhere tiny or renting somewhere with access to communal facilites, you've built a big house on an individual land parcel...

39 minutes ago, the_r_sole said:

to be fair 150m2 is a huge 2 bed, and miles away from a tiny house - you haven't made the choice between owning somewhere tiny or renting somewhere with access to communal facilites, you've built a big house on an individual land parcel...

Yup, after three years in a flat while trying to get the build off the ground I'm done with small spaces and close proximity to neighbours (as nice as they all are).The lock down has reinforced my desire for more space both in terms of building and land. I appreciate that not everyone wants that or are able to do it.