Laurence737

Rear Extension and Extra Bedroom Extension Help!

Recommended Posts

Hi Everyone,

 

We are new to the forum, a couple living in the East Midlands.  For various reasons we would like to add an extension to our existing 3 bed detached new build (3.5 years old) house.

 

We can comfortably extend out at the back to 3.1m and our initial thoughts are to extend all the way across the back of the property, and then either add a 4th bedroom in the loft (if budget will allow) or maybe a partial second storey extension to create the new room.

 

We are however hitting a brick wall with how to arrange the space to make it work.  We would like to achive

 

- Addition of a 4th bedroom (to raise our property out of the 3 bed ceiling bracket)

- Create an open plan kitchen/diner

- Create a playroom/study

 

We are struggling to work out if this is possible with our budget (£70k), we have arranged for some builders to visit to discuss over the next few weeks but were hoping that some creative sparks on here could give us some suggestions and inspiration for how we could achieve our dream home. I have attached our current floor plan and the proposed extension outline.

 

Thanks in advance :)

Extension Plan.jpg

80631084_house_extension_upstairs_first_floor_first_design_20200627163831.jpg

Original Floorplan.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The first thing is would check is your deeds as a lot of new builds seem to have covenants preventing certain developments, e.g. loft conversion etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi thanks for your input, we have checked with the developer and they have given us written permission for a single storey rear extension and a loft conversion, and verbal permission (although we would get written permission, as well as applying for planning permission) if we went for the 2 storey route.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The ground floor extension works because both kitchen and living are double aspect, so potentially blocking their back windows is not an issue.

 

A loft conversion will probably mean a roof off conversion as I bet the trusses used for the loft are inadequate for a loft room.

 

As the landing comes up at the back, how about a smaller rear extension upstairs that basically goes between the windows of the master, and the other rear bedroom, and gives you the 4th bedroom above the extension while still keeping the other rear bedrooms windows as they are?  That would still leave the loft conversion to take it to 5 bedrooms later.

 

What constrains the rear extension to only 3 metres?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you considered moving, new build so should sell quickly, upgrade to a larger version on the same site, save 18months of agro. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What can you buy for 70k more than this is worth? A loft conversion on a new build roof and a sizeable extension for that budget I'd say is very unlikely... fitting a compliant stair into your floor plan will be difficult without comprising something...

With your design, I'd start from first principles, I.e. figure out exactly what you want from altering the house, a full width extension like you've shown rarely work, it looks like you've just said "we need an extension" without going through the reasoning for it. It might be you can achieve better quality, more useful spaces with much less new building...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, ProDave said:

The ground floor extension works because both kitchen and living are double aspect, so potentially blocking their back windows is not an issue.

 

A loft conversion will probably mean a roof off conversion as I bet the trusses used for the loft are inadequate for a loft room.

 

As the landing comes up at the back, how about a smaller rear extension upstairs that basically goes between the windows of the master, and the other rear bedroom, and gives you the 4th bedroom above the extension while still keeping the other rear bedrooms windows as they are?  That would still leave the loft conversion to take it to 5 bedrooms later.

 

What constrains the rear extension to only 3 metres?

 

Thanks for your reply, we are going to consult a loft specialist on Monday to see what can be done with the loft, it is W trusses, however the people we did speak to did say that the roof doesnt need to come off but structural steels will be required to take the load of the roof.  We did consider opening the landing window and having a room off the back of the house, but the distance between the two bedroom windows is only about 3m so we were worried that the internal dimension of the new room would be pretty small? (only around 2ish m x 3m?)

 

The 3m is restricted by the neighbours garage, we can go to about 3.2m before we start encroaching on that, so we are aiming to try and get a 3m internal width.

 

2 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

Have you considered moving, new build so should sell quickly, upgrade to a larger version on the same site, save 18months of agro. 

 

We have considered moving, however the extension allows us to consolidate my partners medical education loan and gives us a bigger house, so if we can do the work that we intend we can remortgage to clear the debt and have the bigger house we desperately need (with a toddler and another on the way! plus my wife is Irish so we need a 4th room for when they are over)

 

49 minutes ago, the_r_sole said:

What can you buy for 70k more than this is worth? A loft conversion on a new build roof and a sizeable extension for that budget I'd say is very unlikely... fitting a compliant stair into your floor plan will be difficult without comprising something...

With your design, I'd start from first principles, I.e. figure out exactly what you want from altering the house, a full width extension like you've shown rarely work, it looks like you've just said "we need an extension" without going through the reasoning for it. It might be you can achieve better quality, more useful spaces with much less new building...

 

Yes our main worry is getting what we want in for our budget, we were considering moving the tank from the cupboard over the stairs up into the loft to allow us to use that space to run the stairs into the loft? 

 

Our list of priorities are

- Create 4th bedroom

- Create a play/toy room

- Open plan kitchen diner with access to the garden.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now