Joiner made front door....will it be airtight?

Stephen Aitch

We are trying to do our best to create a pretty airtight house....  

Our Architect has suggested a joiner made front door.  Will this be a huge source of air leakage?

We are installing MVHR and ASHP and it will kill performance if the door lets wind through.

Our current double glazed french patio doors let a gale blow through on windy days....

In a low energy house, the front (and all) doors need to be both airtight and thermally efficient - i.e. low u value & no cold bridges (so a solid timber door is not a good idea).

When closed, it needs to be secured against the frame to ensure the seals engage - multipoint locking is good for this.

I'd be surprised if a joiner could make a door to meet that criteria, risk is that over time a timber door may shrink and airtightness deteriorate.

We have a passive standard door from RK - foam core, aluminium structure, double seals etc - not cheap but we were aiming for a certain aesthetic.

• Like 1

I would have preferred to use an oak front door to match our oak canopy 

Ive a friend with a workshop that would have made one for the price of the timber But conceded it wouldn’t be airtight and less so over time 

Sk I fitted a composite door 

• Like 1

I have had a joiner make our front door. It's not yet installed so I can't comment on how it performs just yet.

The joiner was responsive to the challenge of making something airtight and thermally efficient. I visited a few showrooms to take photos of the seal details and found tech drawings online. I think the door will perform very well during the airtightness test.

With regard to thermal performance I think it will be a slight weak spot, although we used a triple glazed sealed unit and 50mm PIR sandwhich filling there are areas where there is solid timber. 

• Like 1

My front door (and frame) was made by the same joiners that made all my windows and bifolds, all in oak, I do have a closed porch to act as an airlock and it faces North. It fits tightly with multi point locking and is a  very good fit.i would disagree that a GOOD joiner could not make a  door like mine (it’s also foam cored).

Edited by joe90
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, joe90 said:

My front door (and frame) was made by the same joiners that made all my windows and bifolds, all in oak, I do have a closed porch to act as an airlock and it faces North. It fits tightly with multi point locking and is a  very good fit.i would disagree that a GOOD joiner could not make a  door like mine (it’s also foam cored).

Ok, I concede the point - a good joiner could do it but you will need to be be clear on the requirements.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

Ok, I concede the point - a good joiner could do it but you will need to be be clear on the requirements.

This is one my friend made for me at our last house Cost me £300 plus the glass It sealed up pretty well 

But like Joe mine was under cover 

While we have a large oak canopy on our new house The front door is open to the elements and would be likely to sell or contract 

One advantage with a timber frame is if the seals become damaged or crack they are very easily replaced Unlike UPVC 

883264C3-C448-4C79-9EDB-2B094AF99690.jpeg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 27/06/2020 at 19:24, dpmiller said:

you said

" One advantage with a timber frame is if the seals become damaged or crack they are very easily replaced Unlike UPVC  "

Yep simple to pick out 

UPVC are a nightmare to sort out