Solar Film - which one? Self fit?

Weebles

Our roof lights let in loads of light but are letting in loads of heat too, with the sun now high in the sky and outside temperatures in the 30s this week.  So we are thinking of applying solar film.  I don't think we get any value add in terms of heat in the winter as the sun is too low so not going to lose out on that.

Please pass on stories, good and bad, and any recommended suppliers.  There are some that just supply and some that also fit?  Is it easy to self-fit? (we have easy access to the flat roof)  And there is a minefield of different films to choose from......any recommendations of films?  Thanks

We used Clearview Vista 80X on a glazed gable, I can't see why it wouldn't work on a roof light. We had it installed and I personally wouldn't like to try on a large vertical surface but may on a horizontal surface. Our bathroom roof window has G32 glazing which is good enough to keep out the heat.

https://www.sun-x.co.uk/products/clearview-solar-film

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...
On 27/06/2020 at 17:07, PeterStarck said:

We used Clearview Vista 80X on a glazed gable, I can't see why it wouldn't work on a roof light. We had it installed and I personally wouldn't like to try on a large vertical surface but may on a horizontal surface. Our bathroom roof window has G32 glazing which is good enough to keep out the heat.

https://www.sun-x.co.uk/products/clearview-solar-film

I contacted Sun-X and have an answer from them as to why this wouldn't work with a 3G flat rooflight, at least not the ones with a self cleaning coating. They said:

"That could be tricky. Applied internally the film wouldn’t help much, as the reflected heat would get trapped in the airspaces. Double glazed would be much more manageable.

Externally, it’d cover the self-clean coating, and also, not last particularly long being a flat rooflight, as rainwater will pool on the surface, rather than running off, and soak through & de-laminate the film from the glass."

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Adsibob said:

"That could be tricky. Applied internally the film wouldn’t help much, as the reflected heat would get trapped in the airspaces. Double glazed would be much more manageable.

Externally, it’d cover the self-clean coating, and also, not last particularly long being a flat rooflight, as rainwater will pool on the surface, rather than running off, and soak through & de-laminate the film from the glass."

Thanks, that's very interesting, especially the fact that rain would soak through the film.