Electric Meter first?, MPANs and Registered address - Grrr

BotusBuild

Hi,

I have got a date for our electric connection from Western Power Distribution (WPD) to be completed, and need to arrange for an electric meter from an electricity supplier. Hoorah. This is to a build site with no registered address either with the council or the post office.

First question is, does this need to be installed before the electric supply? Looking at pictures of meter boxes in other threads it would seem it is.

Next question, based on the couple of phone calls I've made, I need an MPAN number which can't exist without a registered address (or so I am being told), so I appear to be in a catch 22 situation. Should Western Power be able to provide me with an MPAN number?

Last questions - How quick should the electricity supplier (not WPD) be able to install the meter? Who's best?

Cheers

Stuart

An MPAN can exist without a registered address.  Ours is registered to "Land 50m metres east of _______"  We were given the MPAN a few days before the actual connection and then we booked the meter with the supplier.

We chose SSE as our intitial supplier to install the meter, simpy because that was the DNO. Signed up to the standard variable tariff then switched within a few weeks.

• Thanks 1

The meter box has to be in place.  Then the DNO connects their supply and leaves it as a bare supply.

A short time later the supplier comes along and installs a meter.

Your electrician then connects a consumer unit and you can connect stuff.

• Thanks 1

So slightly different in Western Power areas as they won't give you a bare meter connection with no CU tails to connect to. You have to have either a temporary CU or some other fused switch before the will install a meter.

@BotusBuild once you book your connection you will be given a date - then book your meter connection with the first supplier that offers a free meter install on a no ties contract then change once you have an MPAN and a meter installed

• Thanks 1

The following all comes with the caveat of "Coronavirus time" i.e. it could normally be shorter ? 

First inquiry was back in Jan 2019 (for budgeting purposes only, no application made). BTW - their estimate was a little higher than the actual ...

First application contact mid-Mar 2020 (what timing!), and I received a quote towards end of Mar/early April via snailmail.

I accepted quote in mid May 2020, with the caveat on completion being dependent on my ability to visit site to complete trenching, cabinet for meter box etc.. WPD are doing me a favour by bringing the meter box and other items to the site (normally you have to collect these from one of their depots).

As things eased, I took a punt on agreeing completion of installation in w/c 20 July which is happening.

FYI - for our connection, a network upgrade is required (uprated transformer somewhere up the line), and we are having to have an underground feed to next door re-routed as well as our supply connected.

• Like 1

An update following my meeting with the (very friendly) WPD guys yesterday, so that others here have a point of reference. Here is the timeline for getting your WPD supply through to having some power sockets to connect to (I feel this flow of events would be similar across the DNO's):-

1. Sign the paperwork for your new supply and pay the invoice. Note: there will likely be some site visits involved before you get the invoice that you will need to pay ?

2. WPD will supply you with an MPAN number once you have paid.

3. Now you can approach your electricity Supplier of choice (e.g. E.On, nPower etc. - as PeterW says 

On 25/06/2020 at 14:07, PeterW said:

book your meter connection with the first supplier that offers a free meter install on a no ties contract

4. Contract your electrician to fit the Consumer Unit, your power socket circuit and most importantly the tails from the CU that will fit in the Supplier meter. 

5. WPD will do all their cable connection work up to the new white meter box ready for the Supplier meter to be installed.

6. Get your electrician to do their work as contracted in step 4. Note: this work can take place before step 5

7. Only once you have the WPD connections complete and the CU and tails installed can the Supplier now fit the meter.

As the WPD chap said to me - if you can get the meter installed on the same day as the supply connection you will have worked a small miracle. Also, he said make sure they turn up after we have finished our work (for me that means about 2pm)

Right, I'm off to see if I am allowed to install the CU and tails myself.

Edited by BotusBuild

22 minutes ago, BotusBuild said:

4. Contract your electrician to fit the Consumer Unit, your power socket circuit and most importantly the tails from the CU that will fit in the Supplier meter. 

Just on this - you can get this installed with a CU with a single RCBO/MCB in the board attached to a single 13A socket. Is your box/meter within 3m of the CU..??

Irrespective of design, I would seriously contemplate having the tails go into one of these first https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CGMSF100.html

Our was with SHEPD/SSE and wanted a temporary supply.

We built a box

Trench dug, ducting laid and draw cord

Cable pulled through ducting

Then connected and SHEPD left a cut out 

Meter was installed when we could have an appointment

Electrician installed a couple of sockets and little consumer unit.

Power ready for trades

Hardest bit was the paper aspect, wayleaves and negotiating the connection fee.

3 hours ago, PeterW said:

you can get this installed with a CU with a single RCBO/MCB in the board attached to a single 13A socket. Is your box/meter within 3m of the CU..??

Precisely the plan (maybe with a double socket ? ). I've got two meter boxes located right next to each other at the moment (there's a long term plan!), so the supply and meter will go in one box, and the CU and sockets in the other.

I think I know the answer, but wanted to check - can I install the tails, CU and socket/s myself? Or are we beholden to the "no-one else is competent" signoff and certification from the electrician?

BTW, I have nothing against good tradespeople - it just irks given some of the shoddy examples of the self-certified electrical work I have HAD to put right over many years

If it was me.....

If these are external meter boxes, run a duct between the two and in the DNO box put a fused isolator switch and an earth block. Then run to a pair of Henleys in the other box, and install one of these and then get them to install.

I have posted this several times, here is mine

1581970517_electricitysupply.thumb.jpg.b10ae485699455656648548d70429606.jpg

I used a pair of boxes as some DNO's get shirty about stuff in "their" box.

I really must take another photo with the outgoing cables to the house connected. those are just the cables to the caravan and shed connected to the CU. the house connects to the two switch fuses. the smaller one is not in use and was future proofing in case I wanted an off peak supply.

Sometimes the meter guy will connect the tails if they are ready. Often up here, as SSE supply meters with built in isolators, they don't and leave that for the electrician.

I have never know the DNO ask for any certification so if you are competent I don't see why you could not wire yours yourself.  Building control will expect an EIC for the house install in Scotland and probably a part P sign off in England and Wales.

There are a lot of quirks and inconsistencies in what the DNO and meter guys will or will not do.  I was present on a supply move once (from temporary box into the house) and the DNO guy thought he would be helpful and move the meter while he was at it.  2 hours later when the meter guy turned up he gave me a right bollocking and I still don't think he believed me when I said it was the DNO guy wot moved your meter.

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update for anyone that might be interested:

I now have the MPAN number as of yesterday, so today it should be on the national database - anyone know who is installing meters for free at the moment?

I also have the electrician coming to installed consumer side pieces prior to WPD (DNO) doing their connection work on the supply side.

• Like 1

Let's see if this plan works out:-

My electrician to install consumer side stuff prior to 22nd July

WPD (DNO) to connect supply on 22nd July

British Gas to install meter tails from my electrician on 24th July

?

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/07/2020 at 11:00, ProDave said:

Did they fit a smart meter or an ordinary one?

They fitted a smart meter, although the very nice lady from British Gas, said it should not have been necessary until the house was built. Maybe I used the wrong terminology when I spoke to "call centre Charlie" by saying "new build" instead of "temporary build supply" but I can't remember ?