Custom size loft hatch.

Hi, 

Our loft space above the utility room currently has just a board laid on top of the hole and we are looking to tidy it up a little and reduce any heat loss. 

It is quite a large opening approx 800 x800 the largest drop down hatch I can find is max 650mm wide. 

Does anyone have any tips on making your own or know a company who supply larger sizes? It's only in the utility room so not wanting to spend a fortune getting one made 

Thanks 

Danny 

11 minutes ago, Roundtuit said:

Hi.  I had one made at Jupiter Blue (also for utility room as it happens). Can't recall the price, but it was reasonable.

Thanks I've actually looked on their site but could see the option to have a custom one. I'll have a proper look. 

7 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Can you not insulate the one you have. 

Years ago the go to method was to put loft insulation on the back covered in a plastic sheet stapled to the back of the door. 

Just depends on how much you want to spend. 

Never thought of that. I actually have quite a bit or PIR insulation I could stick to the current board which would keep it light enough to remove when needed 

i bought a large access panel from a company in lithuania, i found them for sale in the uk but only the smaller sizes, the postage was very fast it depends on what you want as i went for the plasterboard hatch but they have many other types of hatches availiable https://www.el-vent.com/en/alustar-mega-large-dimensions-access-doors. you can see the hatch that i bought half way up the stairs, this covers my consumer unit, broadband router etc

IMG_20190911_195802.jpg

We had the opposite problem, the loft hatches supplied with the kit were too large for where I wanted them, joiners wanted to put them in the bedrooms but I didn’t want the ceiling spoiled with a hatch, I eventually got my way and had them in the dressing rooms, he made them from oak we had on site and insulated the bac0CE951A0-3520-44BC-A353-ACC5F0D8FAF6.thumb.jpeg.6f9a1ff37aa314f4da544234d53ef6bf.jpeg