Setting door heights

dpmiller

So I've got all the door linings in upstairs. Screed was down so easy enough to set a gap under the door and work to. Bog standard trenched linings from Howdens, so about a 20mm gap between door and screed. A mix of carpet and some kind of tiles will end up being fitted.

Now for downstairs. Bottom of the sole plate is FFL but the subfloor height varies by perhaps 30mm around the house. Is FFL actually the top of any tiles or timber, or the screed below?  Should I just put all the linings in level with the sole plate and expect the door to be really gappy until the final covering goes down (and insulation, and screed ) or set then down by some arbitary distance that allows for the final coverings?

Level threshold at the front door obviously makes for a lack of adjustability here.

thoughts please?

FFL (Finished Floor Level) is before any floor finishes. So after screed and/or chipboard flooring but before carpet or tile...

https://www.designingbuildings.co.uk/wiki/Finished_floor_level#:~:text=Finished floor level (FFL) refers,any finishes have been applied.&text=The floor above may be,the floor below FFL 23%2C000.

Most doors can be trimmed top and bottom. Check if yours can and by how much. If so you can set them a bit low and adjust later.

Edited by Temp

The sub floor will be as you say all over the place so take your measurements of the underside of the joists. These should all be the same.

I worked out what I needed from the front door and measured up. Then transferred this to the rest of the house. Set one frame, then measured up from the top of the frame to the joist. Next time I measured down set a piece of timber level at the top of the mark then put the pre made Frame into the hole up against the timber set it plumb and banged some concrete screws. Means you can screw in a tiny bit checking for plumb. If you go to much then screw back out and pack where needed.

27 minutes ago, Temp said:

FFL (Finished Floor Level) is before any floor finishes. So after screed and/or chipboard flooring but before carpet or tile...

https://www.designingbuildings.co.uk/wiki/Finished_floor_level#:~:text=Finished floor level (FFL) refers,any finishes have been applied.&text=The floor above may be,the floor below FFL 23%2C000.

Most doors can be trimmed top and bottom. Check if yours can and by how much. If so you can set them a bit low and adjust later.

Thanks for that confirmation. Time for the spinning lazer and the front door threshold to get friendly methinks.

Dave, I'd leave it but the TF openings are pretty big and I need to get on with the PB.

44 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

Time for the spinning lazer and the front door threshold to get friendly methinks.

That's we did. Screeders also worked from front door level with laser to set their heights when it was pumped in.