Prep for spray

Pocster

1 hour ago, pocster said:

Well !

Glad I did a water test !

Initially you hold the gun over a bucket as you prime . Instructions say once the fluid comes out to stop and attach the nozzle . Needless to say I continued holding until the gentle stream turned into a Niagra falls under pressure ! . Just got a bit wet - if it had been paint then I would have painted the room I think in about 2 seconds in a rather uncontrolled manner !!

Will run through the procedure once more . Surprised how wide the spray is ( against some ply as a test ) but can also see how even it is !!

Beware water...

1 hour ago, pocster said:

Well !

Glad I did a water test !

Initially you hold the gun over a bucket as you prime . Instructions say once the fluid comes out to stop and attach the nozzle . Needless to say I continued holding until the gentle stream turned into a Niagra falls under pressure ! . Just got a bit wet - if it had been paint then I would have painted the room I think in about 2 seconds in a rather uncontrolled manner !!

Will run through the procedure once more . Surprised how wide the spray is ( against some ply as a test ) but can also see how even it is !!

15929922430097538638195443873881.jpg

15929922742197678506386493255750.jpg

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

My one tip: only use each bucket once - any dried up paint from last time ie crunchy bits are the things that will  block.

My pattern is to use 5l tubs and ideally use up the whole one each time, then tip the alst bit of paint into the next tub.

But the last job we did was about 3 coats on 350sqm of wall, not a bathroom ceiling.

(And if you get too close the paint will bounce off).

Yeah I was going to do that anyway . Bought 3 extra buckets . 

4 minutes ago, pocster said:

Yeah I was going to do that anyway . Bought 3 extra buckets . 

If you can it may be better to just drop the gubbins into the newly opened paint tin after you have stirred it for 20 minutes or however long.

Opinions differ on that,

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

If you can it may be better to just drop the gubbins into the newly opened paint tin after you have stirred it for 20 minutes or however long.

Opinions differ on that,

Yeah it’s new plaster so planned to do 2 watery coats first . As that dries then mix final coat ( probably with a touch of water to help it flow better ) 

Edited by pocster

Gent spraying a house with my Wagner machine - which is perhaps more semi-pro than yours (new cost approx £700). Courtesy @Hecateh.

This is running on very low power - it will generate a fan of paint as big as me, and goes up to 200 atmospheres iirc.

https://forum.buildhub.org.uk/uploads/monthly_2018_09/DSCF1416_x264.mp4.fa93da2a2638879a4d3aa8b7e948aa0c.mp4  

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

Gent spraying a house with my Wagner machine - which is perhaps more semi-pro than yours (new cost approx £700). Courtesy @Hecateh.

This is running on very low power - it will generate a fan of paint as big as me, and goes up to 200 atmospheres iirc.

https://forum.buildhub.org.uk/uploads/monthly_2018_09/DSCF1416_x264.mp4.fa93da2a2638879a4d3aa8b7e948aa0c.mp4 13.45 MB · 0 downloads   

I just have the boys toy version ?

36 minutes ago, pocster said:

Erm , what’s the right answer here ?

I assume just spray and forget ... ?

It was discussed in the thread you read. Go back and read it properly ?.

I just have the boys toy version ?

If you put a balloon in front of it people may think it's bigger than is actually the case.

(Update: you backroll to make the surface less perfect, otherwise your brush strokes or roller texture later when eg touching up will show  up against the perfect spray surface. The idea is to do it at a time that will  give a very slight texture. Worth doing.)

Edited by Ferdinand

15 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

It was discussed in the thread you read. Go back and read it properly ?.

If you put a balloon in front of it people may think it's bigger than is actually the case.

(Update: you backroll to make the surface less perfect, otherwise your brush strokes or roller texture later when eg touching up will show  up against the perfect spray surface. The idea is to do it at a time that will  give a very slight texture. Worth doing.)

I’m a big boy - I’ll risk a perfect texture that never needs touching up 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

How do you know that Russ? ?

Because I’m a clever fooker 

Been there got the t shirt bud. 

Sprayed a few houses in oz. always back roll. 

You get a hairline crack you cannot just grab the roller and give it a quick run over, as it will show up like dogs balls. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

You get a hairline crack you cannot just grab the roller and give it a quick run over, as it will show up like dogs balls. 

Our hero has a strategy for that.

He's going to do the Colditz "how to hide an escape hatch in a ceiling" trick, and draw a whole network of hairline cracks on with a pencil, so you won't notice the real one.

aka Trompe l'oeil Bristol-style.

It's like you don't notice weeds in my garden, as there are so many people think it *is* the garden.

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

Because I’m a clever fooker 

Been there got the t shirt bud. 

Sprayed a few houses in oz. always back roll. 

Tbh with previous painting ( roller and brush ) touching that up always looks crap . So I end up doing the whole wall anyway ; agree that re rolling a wall would be quicker than respraying it . But as you know - why make a job easy ! ?

@Thorfun want to buy a sprayer ??

Jesus ! The mess !!

Firstly the paint I choose was surprisingly thin so I added a bit of water as new plaster . Mixed mechanically for 10 mins .

What came out of the sprayer was more water than paint . Anyway plaster got a water coat ....

Added more paint and mixed .Proper coating now .

Some observations though 

I blocked some of my ceiling holes with projecting bits to hold circle in place . Bad idea as it caused the spray to pattern as it hit them . Removed them . Edges seem to be an issue as paint splatters off walls and onto the ceiling . You can see the edges have a ‘dimple’ effect . Hope that dries out .

i then ran out of paint before even getting to the ensuite .

The main finish looks good . If anything it shows up plasterers imperfections !!

But the mess ! I mean on me not the bloody machine !!!

I’ll take advice on the edges . Might 2nd coat it when dry ( and have more paint )

Photos of fun 

Actually it might be the silver foil I used playing tricks with my eyes . Even though it’s painted out I think it’s still reflecting .

Have to admit that was not enjoyable !

5 hours of cleaning now !! Ffs 

ADCB7661-FFC9-4EFA-9C93-43B2CD0AC179.jpeg

5A419C2C-EEC9-4626-A9BC-133F2EF142FE.jpeg

Edited by pocster
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

it does look good though. good job!

(expletive deleted) me ! Though ! I’m still tidying up !

I had a bucket of painty water with the filter in soaking . Forgot about it and tipped the lot straight down the man hole ????

• Like 1

I'm sure there's a video in the 10 Minute Workshop series where he was experimenting with paint sprayers and came out looking like Frosty the Snowman ...

SWMBO can make a model of "Painting Pocster" for  the Christmas Cake.

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

I'm sure there's a video in the 10 Minute Workshop series where he was experimenting with paint sprayers and came out looking like Frosty the Snowman ...

SWMBO can make a model of "Painting Pocster" for  the Christmas Cake.

Honestly !

The worst bit is where you prep the sprayer that moment where the tiny trickle into a monsoon . You’ve got maybe a 10th of a second to react. If you don’t ( as I didn’t ) it hits the side of the bucket and then you are coated . My right arm and gun completely white . Would of took a photo but was pretty pre occupied with swearing .

No mist as it hits the surface? . In the videos the man smiles and not a drop touches him . BS !!! 

Edited by pocster