Prep for spray

Pocster

So !

I’ve probably gone overboard but have prep’d my bathroom ceiling and ensuite for spray painting . I’m assuming it will spray further than I think !  . Was worried if I got the paint on the delta board would prevent tiles from bonding to it .

Going to use silk white paint from

https://www.little-knights.co.uk

antibacterial and wipe able .

They suggested watering down by 10% for initial coats . I’m tempted to go 50/50 for initial 2 coats to seal the plaster .

265B6F72-14F1-4661-8BE1-A831F953C065.jpeg

89A81187-386F-4274-95FB-86FF1C03032F.jpeg

7CC32E2F-2CDC-4C20-AF28-A34F6115E037.jpeg

I'm a long way off being ready to paint (not even broken ground yet) but I'm interested in what spray paint machine gizmo thingy you'll be using so I can store that information away and retrieve it at a later date.

33 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

I'm a long way off being ready to paint (not even broken ground yet) but I'm interested in what spray paint machine gizmo thingy you'll be using so I can store that information away and retrieve it at a later date.

It’s a 

661FC728-CEFE-484E-ADC8-EB60366E6164.thumb.jpeg.3c4efb8c81412afcfc2cf1c098f7a3ee.jpeg

You just want to watch me balls it up !

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bassanclan said:

That "key" determines the spray flow and pattern. Usually you loosen the very end of the spray gun and it slots in from above.

Water is fine to test

Thanks . I just worked out how to get it in .

So it just faces forwards whilst spraying ? If turned completely ( arrow facing at user ) what’s it do then ?

Any other advice before I commit ??

Notice the hose to gun fitting can unscrew as flex moves ....

2 minutes ago, pocster said:

Tell me about it !

Once I’ve balls’d this up you can have it with some free walk on glazing ?

sounds like a deal. as long as it's the incorrect size of course. wouldn't want any that actually fitted.

• Haha 1

An email to super helpful Wagner clear up a few mistakes . The green ‘key’ actually effects the spray and you use the correct one for the thickness of paint / liquid . Obviously I had the wrong one installed .

Also in the instructions they connect the gun straight to the hose . But it would seem you need to put the hea filter inbetween them ! . Now the hea filter may be red or white - struggling to open it without force too see what filters in there 

A few more Wagner questions then I’ll be ready for a water test .... ??

17 minutes ago, pocster said:

An email to super helpful Wagner clear up a few mistakes . The green ‘key’ actually effects the spray and you use the correct one for the thickness of paint / liquid . Obviously I had the wrong one installed .

Also in the instructions they connect the gun straight to the hose . But it would seem you need to put the hea filter inbetween them ! . Now the hea filter may be red or white - struggling to open it without force too see what filters in there 

A few more Wagner questions then I’ll be ready for a water test .... ??

So that is te various sizes of pinhole the paint goes through.

• Like 1

It is not really worth doing just one ceiling as it takes a while to set up and clean out.  You can do the whole house in a day if it is prepped.  Cover wires if they have been marked up.  Make sure all the plaster is good before you start spraying.  You can't easily touch in sprayed surfaces.  Turn the nozzle round if it blocks.  Good luck.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr Punter said:

It is not really worth doing just one ceiling as it takes a while to set up and clean out.  You can do the whole house in a day if it is prepped.  Cover wires if they have been marked up.  Make sure all the plaster is good before you start spraying.  You can't easily touch in sprayed surfaces.  Turn the nozzle round if it blocks.  Good luck.

Yeah I know . But I really want to get the ensuite and bathroom ceilings done then the sparky can fit lights ; then I can begin tiling . I don’t want to tile in poor light . That was my logic . Regarding the rest of the house ( or at least upstairs ) would probably spray that in one go .

Sieve your paint first! I am spraying soon and have always found that the internal in line paint filter just before the gun lasts alot longer if you sieve the paint beforehand. Took about an hour to do 60 litres the other day and it was well worth it with what I had in the sieve!!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Pete said:

Sieve your paint first! I am spraying soon and have always found that the internal in line paint filter just before the gun lasts alot longer if you sieve the paint beforehand. Took about an hour to do 60 litres the other day and it was well worth it with what I had in the sieve!!

Will do . Also have an sds mixer attachment. Something else I’ve read is you spend more time mixing than you do painting and it’s worth it 

Well !

Glad I did a water test !

Initially you hold the gun over a bucket as you prime . Instructions say once the fluid comes out to stop and attach the nozzle . Needless to say I continued holding until the gentle stream turned into a Niagra falls under pressure ! . Just got a bit wet - if it had been paint then I would have painted the room I think in about 2 seconds in a rather uncontrolled manner !!

Will run through the procedure once more . Surprised how wide the spray is ( against some ply as a test ) but can also see how even it is !!

Edited by pocster
  • Haha 1

My one tip: only use each bucket once - any dried up paint from last time ie crunchy bits are the things that will  block.

My pattern is to use 5l tubs and ideally use up the whole one each time, then tip the alst bit of paint into the next tub.

But the last job we did was about 3 coats on 350sqm of wall, not a bathroom ceiling.

(And if you get too close the paint will bounce off).

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1