Retro-fit Quooker tap

Does a boiling water tap require any specific electrical supply or just off a decent ring main? (I.e. recent install without eleventy-four bodged spurs off it already)

Under the sink there is a single socket for the dishwasher on a kitchen ring main. That switched socket is connected to a wall mounted grid switch isolator.

Kitchen wise, the monster hob is on its own monster supply and the 2 ovens are on different circuits so maybe there’s 2 rings in here. 

45 minutes ago, nod said:

Quooker and dishwasher on the same D socket 

image.jpg

Cheers.

Does that have an above worktop isolator as well? 

The 3 switch grid I have is for the dishwasher, fridge and extractor fan. But if the Quooker is plug-in then they should already be a suitable rating.

2 minutes ago, daiking said:

Cheers.

Does that have an above worktop isolator as well? 

The 3 switch grid I have is for the dishwasher, fridge and extractor fan. But if the Quooker is plug-in then they should already be a suitable rating.

Yes 

The under sink cupboard is full of crap so everything will fit and there’ll be some way to tap in the waste pipe. 

My concern from looking at the installation guide is that the current tap hole is only 40mm from the edge of the worktop/sink, not the specified 70mm. 

It can’t be easy fitting it in the 100mm gap behind the sink but that must be the same for any replacement tap.

2D458020-EB3F-455C-BB01-29930260E0BE.jpeg

• 1 month later...
On 23/06/2020 at 10:23, nod said:

Quooker and dishwasher on the same D socket 

image.jpg

@nod that looks like the boiler unit is on the deck. Does that mean the £100 bracket is not required?

Also, does anyone have the COMBI unit? I’m wonder is if it’s worth the extra. It does take a while for hot water to get to the kitchen tap. Having instant hot water would be very convenient.

My wife chose the German kitchen 

Spent £££££ on quarts work surfaces 

I chose the Quooker 

Money well spent 

The unit is absolutely fine free standing Quite stable when full

The two years guarantee was disappointing Parts only 

We did have a problem after twelve months  But I found the unit easy to dismantle and clear the limescale 

I combined unit is on my shopping list for our next build 

14 hours ago, nod said:

My wife chose the German kitchen 

Spent £££££ on quarts work surfaces 

I chose the Quooker 

Money well spent 

The unit is absolutely fine free standing Quite stable when full

The two years guarantee was disappointing Parts only 

We did have a problem after twelve months  But I found the unit easy to dismantle and clear the limescale 

I combined unit is on my shopping list for our next build 

Have you had the scale reduction filter installed? Highly recommended.

8 minutes ago, daiking said:

Really? ?

Exactly

I thought I’d be in there with a pin ?

The problem we where having was that we would come home and the tap would be flashing and running cold Quick reset 20 minute wait and all was fine 

For two or three days 

@ryder72 to be honest the accessory filter info seems deliberately obtuse and dare I say it misleading. The way the cold water filter is described - switch from tap water to cold filtered water - sounds like it chills the water. It doesn't does it? You need the CUBE for that don't you?

Wouldn't a £20 10 inch water filter with £5 cartridges do similar? Which is something I've supposed to have done for the last 5 years.

Edited by daiking

1 minute ago, nod said:

Exactly

I thought I’d be in there with a pin ?

The problem we where having was that we would come home and the tap would be flashing and running cold Quick reset 20 minute wait and all was fine 

For two or three days 

That filter is the internal filter that needs changing at 3-5 years? We don't have hard water but we do get some build up over time. That said, the coffee machine has said its scaled up pretty much since we bought it - warning light.  I might descale it every 6 months or so but it never goes out and so far has never stopped working. been there years. 

Ok so this is how it works-

The boiling tank comes with a filter with a life of 5 years. This is for soft water areas (scotland/Cornwall). Rest of the country a scale reduction filter unit is recommended which has a life of 15-18 months. My understanding is warranties are valid in the rest of the uk ONLY is the scale reduction filter is installed.

The cold water filter is a completely different unit for reducing impurities in water. The price is hugely marked up but there could be compatibility issues between the fusion/flex taps and a third party water filter.

4 minutes ago, ryder72 said:

The boiling tank comes with a filter with a life of 5 years. This is for soft water areas (scotland/Cornwall). Rest of the country a scale reduction filter unit is recommended which has a life of 15-18 months. My understanding is warranties are valid in the rest of the uk ONLY is the scale reduction filter is installed.

The cold water filter is a completely different unit for reducing impurities in water. The price is hugely marked up but there could be compatibility issues between the fusion/flex taps and a third party water filter.

The weird thing is that if you go to their site and price up a tap, if you chose the pro3 reservoir, it gives you the option of the scale control plus cartridge. But if you select the pro7 or combi reservoir, you don't get the option to add the scale control. But there are instructions to install a scale control cartridge with a combi reservoir available. They don't make it easy.

15 minutes ago, ryder72 said:

(expletive deleted) me https://www.quooker.co.uk/media/wysiwyg/i/n/installation_guide_scale_control_plus.pdf 

the combi tank eats cartridges 

13 weeks per £80 cartridge? At least Turpin wore a mask.

Edited by daiking

It can't be witchcraft, surely their is a basic third party scale controller cartridge that can be added to the general water supply upstream (like a standard water filter) that will be a fifth of the price of the Quooker units. 

Edited by daiking

4 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

Wavering on getting the limescale controller  - have cleaned out our Quooker unit 3 times in last 4 years - they will send you the kit for free.

However the cost of new filters is really of putting. 

Surely one of these in a standard 10" filter housing will do the job? https://www.ebay.co.uk/c/22004755961?iid=233339449058

I need to get a charcoal filter for water taste anyway.

14 minutes ago, daiking said:

Surely one of these in a standard 10" filter housing will do the job? https://www.ebay.co.uk/c/22004755961?iid=233339449058

I need to get a charcoal filter for water taste anyway.

What's in the filter in the unit itself, I think that is charcoal. 

Mine needs replaces anyway, £30 from Quooker direct.

30 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

What's in the filter in the unit itself, I think that is charcoal. 

Mine needs replaces anyway, £30 from Quooker direct.

standard water filters are charcoal to take the chlorine out but that scale one is 'polyphosphate', claims to be some sort of IX material. I dunno, I'm not a process engineer.

• 2 months later...

Have tap, supposed to be fitted next week. Need to clear kitchen cupboard, replace single socket with double socket and cross fingers. 

My friendly approachable kitchen retailer says they don't normally bother with the extra filter. 

Is the additional scale control filter you refer to or the cold water filter?

If its the former, you friendly kitchen retailer should tell you that the Quooker warranty is valid only if in scale filter is installed anywhere in the UK except Scotland and Devon/Cornwall due to how hard the water is.

If its the latter, it may be a compatibility as the Fusion tap dispenses cold filtered water from the main tap itself .