Landlord's EICR

@Ferdinand, @pocster

I've a long term tenant in a property who should have moved out by now into social housing but it keeps getting delayed due to this Covid thing.

I'm aware that any new tenancy from 1st July 2020 this year requires an EICR. 

The property in question had an EICR within the last 5 years.

However, my existing tenant has in effect gone onto a statutory periodic tenancy as I see it, the fixed term having expired.

I really don't want to be having an EICR done now then in 2 or 3 months time when they move out, another one done for the new tenant.

Thoughts please!

This from some random landlord blog:

Screenshot_20200623-082456_Chrome.thumb.jpg.bb34b5d739edf14bea211d4e909f709e.jpg

Bit of a coincidence 

We where discussing this yesterday 

Not sure if this is of any help But we have an Electrical check overdue by three months In a property that the daughter is awaiting a heart lung transplant 

So can’t send an electrician in 

Weve been told this is ok and to use common sense and work around what we have 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Onoff said:

@Ferdinand, @pocster

I've a long term tenant in a property who should have moved out by now into social housing but it keeps getting delayed due to this Covid thing.

I'm aware that any new tenancy from 1st July 2020 this year requires an EICR. 

The property in question had an EICR within the last 5 years.

However, my existing tenant has in effect gone onto a statutory periodic tenancy as I see it, the fixed term having expired.

I really don't want to be having an EICR done now then in 2 or 3 months time when they move out, another one done for the new tenant.

Thoughts please!

This from some random landlord blog:

Screenshot_20200623-082456_Chrome.thumb.jpg.bb34b5d739edf14bea211d4e909f709e.jpg

Why do you think you might need 2 checks ?

Every 5 years . Any new tenancy from July needs one if it doesn’t exist .

This is my understanding.

As @nod says you are allowed to use common sense . If in doubt or worried put something in writing to the tenant . Because it does happen that the tenant might try to leverage you for ‘breach of law’ for not having one done .

Up here it is every 5 years or change of tenancy.  You could be in the ludicrous position of re doing one after the tenant has been in 5 years, then they leave the next week so you have to do it again for the next tenant (I would just change the date :ph34r: )

BUT at the moment, due to Covid-19 and restrictions on work and movement, I believe all statutory checks have been suspended / extended so check the exact rules, that will probably give you the grace you need and get it done after this tenant has eventually moved on

We are through a nationwide agent and every 5 years per property seems to be the norm 

While we don’t have much of a turnover of tenants We wouldn’t have more than one test in 5 years 

Our Electrian normally says allow an afternoon and will need access to every room 

I think it would be reasonable for a tenant to refuse access  for this Certainly this side of Christmas 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, nod said:

We are through a nationwide agent and every 5 years per property seems to be the norm 

While we don’t have much of a turnover of tenants We wouldn’t have more than one test in 5 years 

Our Electrian normally says allow an afternoon and will need access to every room 

I think it would be reasonable for a tenant to refuse access  for this Certainly this side of Christmas 

This is my interpretation; as I’ve always done with HMO’s one every 5 years . Not one every time a tenant changes . I would check with your local council or ring a letting agent and pretend you are interested in using them - and see what they say .

Otherwise with that logic if a tenants contract is min 6 months and they leave then throughout 5 years you could in theory have 10 tenants - 10 eicr ? I don’t think so .

3 minutes ago, pocster said:

This is my interpretation; as I’ve always done with HMO’s one every 5 years . Not one every time a tenant changes . I would check with your local council or ring a letting agent and pretend you are interested in using them - and see what they say .

Otherwise with that logic if a tenants contract is min 6 months and they leave then throughout 5 years you could in theory have 10 tenants - 10 eicr ? I don’t think so .

You would also be doing a gas check in multiples 

59 minutes ago, pocster said:

Why do you think you might need 2 checks ?

Just the oddity that in this case the tenancy has ended and gone onto a periodic even though it's the same tenant. This as I undersatnd it is considered a new tenancy albeit with the same tenant.

I can't even get my tame NAPIT mate to do the EICR now as he's peed off with the whole requirement he has a specific EICR ticket now and refusing to pay the £600 p/a fee  it'll now cost him. Even though he has his 2391 etc. He's busy enough with commercial stuff anyway.

Just now, nod said:

Yep gas every year . That’s also ‘subjective’ to the tester . I assume also every 12 months but they interpret that as within 12 months of the expiry date . So could be almost 2 years apart .....

1 minute ago, Onoff said:

Just the oddity that in this case the tenancy has ended and gone onto a periodic even though it's the same tenant. This as I undersatnd it is considered a new tenancy albeit with the same tenant.

I can't even get my tame NAPIT mate to do the EICR now as he's peed off with the whole requirement he has a specific EICR ticket now and refusing to pay the £600 p/a fee  it'll now cost him. Even though he has his 2391 etc. He's busy enough with commercial stuff anyway.

When was the last eicr done ?

4 minutes ago, pocster said:

When was the last eicr done ?

2018. He did the original Electrical Installation Certificate for the new cu back in 2013.

Seems madness he can't now do the EICR again without a new bit of paper.

5 minutes ago, Onoff said:

2018. He did the original Electrical Installation Certificate for the new cu back in 2013.

Seems madness he can't now do the EICR again without a new bit of paper.

Been done to death at the other place.  Aren't a lot going to ignore the silly rules and just do it?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Been done to death at the other place.  Aren't a lot going to ignore the silly rules and just do it?

I know just figured more landlords here.

Tbh I wish we'd just sell them and be done with it. SWMBO on about buying another ffs. Make fa from these two.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, nod said:

Do you mean per tenant ?

Nope - I just get one done every 12 months regardless of tenant change or not . Again that’s my interpretation of the law .

Just now, Onoff said:

...in Brighton...

My advice based on the fun you’ve had is don’t bother . You need to want to be a landlord as your agent seems shite . Buy a property . Do it up / add value . “Live in it” then sell so no CGT .

Everyone who has never been a LL thinks it’s easy , until they become one and have problems ?

3 minutes ago, pocster said:

Do you mean per tenant ?

Nope - I just get one done every 12 months regardless of tenant change or not . Again that’s my interpretation of the law .

Either way 

The has and electric tests are for the house not the tenant 

Pretty much like an MOT on a car 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, pocster said:

My advice based on the fun you’ve had is don’t bother . You need to want to be a landlord as your agent seems shite . Buy a property . Do it up / add value . “Live in it” then sell so no CGT .

Everyone who has never been a LL thinks it’s easy , until they become one and have problems ?

Yes I gave up being a landlord once.  Now I am trying to give it up again.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Yes I gave up being a landlord once.  Now I am trying to give it up again.

I know a builder who thought it would be easy . Tenant moved in , paid no rent . He then moved in his girlfriend. Months later as eviction date approaches she magically becomes pregnant. Stay of execution . He finally listened to me and got them evicted properly . They own him 8k in rent !!! . He won’t pursue them ! - just glad it’s over . Did up the house and sold it . Said he’d never rent again and doesn’t understand how I cope ....

In our new after corona virus world there will be less LL’s . They were leaving in droves before CV19 due to regs / law. 
Where will everyone live ? . Rents will rocket as demand far out strips supply . Then rent capping in some form will eventually happen . Even less LL’s then .

One day the question will be asked “Where did all the LL’s go ? “ .

I wonder .... ??

Edited by pocster