Floor transition

vfrdave

Looking some assistance.

We have a semi-open plan kitchen and living arrangement. The floor of the kitchen is soon to be tiled and a wooden floor put in the living area. This throws up 2 issues:-

A discrete and subtle transition from tile to wood given a variance in height. Wood will be engineered at 20mm.

There is a continuous skirting board that runs through both rooms. If there is a difference in flooring heights how is this best dealt with.

This is one of the transition areas.

Wooden floor is 20mm although not completely decided upon. Add to that some adhesive I guess.

Tile is 7/8mm adhesive probably brings it up to 13/14mm.

Kitchen is 8m long with a similar opening opposite at the other end.

IMG_20200622_200658.jpg

18 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Lay wooden floor.

Build up tiled area with self leveling compund

Tile.

Or choose some thicker tiles?

The tile we have decided on more or less after a long period of viewing. 

The wooden floor not so much. Might try and find a 14mm floor which would make things a little easier.

Tiles are likely to go down before the wood floor.

Kitchen is 40 sq m so alot of self leveling to do.

I could live with a oak threshold bar thing, it's how you handle the skirting board.

The issue gets more complex in that if I self level the kitchen to match the height of the wooden floor it throws other levels out.

Off the kitchen is the utility, a passageway to the boot room and garage and door to the entrance hall. All of these areas are to be tiled also and thus need self levelling to match kitchen.

I’ve got something similar in our house with a small change of level between the ceramic tiles in the kitchen and engineered timber floor in the adjacent room. I used an oak transition strip similar to this one:

https://www.ambiencehardwoodflooring.co.uk/solid-oak-r-section-door-bar-threshold-ramp.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwrcH3BRApEiwAxjdPTSbKBoVh7D0zbKPVL2Kg7jpleCed4BVBKtD3bDZtbovpj3KSOLq9wRoCuUoQAvD_BwE

We are using 15mm oak with a band sawn finish. The oak layer is thinner than if we had gone for 20mm - but if we resand it we will loose the bandsawn effect (& it’s cheaper...). Is there nothing in 15mm you like?

7 minutes ago, Nick1c said:

We are using 15mm oak with a band sawn finish. The oak layer is thinner than if we had gone for 20mm - but if we resand it we will loose the bandsawn effect (& it’s cheaper...). Is there nothing in 15mm you like?

Going to look again and see

23 minutes ago, Ian said:

I’ve got something similar in our house with a small change of level between the ceramic tiles in the kitchen and engineered timber floor in the adjacent room. I used an oak transition strip similar to this one:

https://www.ambiencehardwoodflooring.co.uk/solid-oak-r-section-door-bar-threshold-ramp.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwrcH3BRApEiwAxjdPTSbKBoVh7D0zbKPVL2Kg7jpleCed4BVBKtD3bDZtbovpj3KSOLq9wRoCuUoQAvD_BwE

Not adverse to using those just will need to scribe the skirting board in the whole room to match height with kitchen.

28 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Are you not using a decoupling mat under the tiles, if you do this will probably bring you up to the height you need. 

Have you got ufh. 

No decoupling mat not used I other rooms.

Yes I have UFH.

Think I have the solution for this.

Convinced swmbo to tile it instead so all the same level.

Downside is we set the hearth height for the stove with a wooden floor in mind. Just need to figure out how we hide that gap.

6 minutes ago, vfrdave said:

Think I have the solution for this.

Convinced swmbo to tile it instead so all the same level.

Downside is we set the hearth height for the stove with a wooden floor in mind. Just need to figure out how we hide that gap.

If it is all tiled, choose the right stove and it only needs to be on a 12mm non constructional hearth and no need for a level change.

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

If it is all tiled, choose the right stove and it only needs to be on a 12mm non constructional hearth and no need for a level change.

Arse about face here unfortunately. Stove and hearth already in and set to allow a 20mm wooden floor to slip under.

7 hours ago, ProDave said:

Sorry to contradict but there must be a min 12mm level change (Part J, Diagram 27 top right hand side). Apparently it's to discourage rugs migrating onto the hearth where embers might fall out onto them.

• Like 2