Sealing shower screen

Hi Guys

Fitting a 10mm glass frameless shower screen.

The instructions suggest placing the glass directly onto the shower tray, then silicone seal the exterior edge only.

Am wondering if it would be better to placing the glass on a 3mm spacer to create a gap which could be filled with silicone.

What would you do?

Thanks 

Edited by Robert Clark
Spelling error

I recently fitted a 10mm glass screen, 2000mm x 1200mm. Fixed on one side and I used some Transparent Setting and Distance Blocks - 4mm Thickness in the U channel fixed to the wall and between the glass and tray. 

I felt if the screen was knocked the blocks allow a little bit of absorption.

7A3761E4-A269-4DEA-9C11-D948E8133178.jpeg.ac2d260077c15cd16bd59e92b5a4dd23.jpeg

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

Probably better your way but depends of door is hinged of fixed glass panel. If it is hinged off it then probably best directly on tray as more friction. 

It’s a corned quadrant shower so has two fixed panels and a slider 

What are the manufacturers instructions ..?? I would start there. 

You can use spacers and bed the screen onto CT1 clear or EB25 and then wait til it’s set and pull the spacer and do a full run of sealant but it seems to just create a messy finish.

I would be taping the tray and screen and bedding the screen onto a full bed of 3-4mm of decent sealant all the way to 20mm from the end and sit that on a spacer and basically full fill the whole of the run. Inside can be tooled to a flat finish and the outer the same and you

wont see the join. Pull the spacer from the end when the sealant is fully set. 

With wall profiles you need to only seal the outer edge so any water that gets in can get out. 

And make sure you have lots of baby wipes, a tin of MultiSolve and a bin nearby ..!!

• Like 2

Our frameless shower came with chrome plated U channel to sit the glass in. We fixed that to the tray with a clear silicone sealer then used same to seal the glass into the channel. Been fine for 12 years.

• Like 1