Self build offgrid strawbale house in Scotland

Pord67

Yes, lack of mains electricity is not for everyone. However, once the solar pv and batteries are set up the rewards are considerable. We haven't paid a utility bill in 4 years (only a Calor cylinder once every 4 months or so).

Couple of folk have asked about Building Control. It did take us a year to get Building Warrant, but after that they've been no trouble at all, quite the opposite in fact. The good thing is that this type of design is now fully accepted by BC as compliant, and there are engineers who buy into the concept and will certify the design. This method is relatively low tech, low tolerance, and can be done mostly by reasonably handy non-professionals who are prepared to graft. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Pord67 said:

and will certify the design.

Where does the design come from? Not asking for names but is it an architectural practice or something? Someone obviously knows what they're doing. 

Or is the build method described in detail somewhere. Fascinated by the earth rammed tyres. 

...and are the tyres all the same size?

55 minutes ago, Pord67 said:

Yes, lack of mains electricity is not for everyone. However, once the solar pv and batteries are set up the rewards are considerable. We haven't paid a utility bill in 4 years (only a Calor cylinder once every 4 months or so).

Couple of folk have asked about Building Control. It did take us a year to get Building Warrant, but after that they've been no trouble at all, quite the opposite in fact. The good thing is that this type of design is now fully accepted by BC as compliant, and there are engineers who buy into the concept and will certify the design. This method is relatively low tech, low tolerance, and can be done mostly by reasonably handy non-professionals who are prepared to graft. 

In all seriousness, I'd love to see your Warrant Submission documents, yes, I am THAT sad ?

The design is one used by Barbara Jones at Straw Works. They worked our original house layout sketches up into technical drawings (so no expensive architect required).

The tyres are rammed with 10mm pea shingle (ie no mud), and are free draining and non-wicking. Think of them as rubber-wrapped gabion baskets. They are each around the same size but with some variations. All acquired free from grateful tyre fitters. 

Ideally our bales would have been purchased locally but that proved surprisingly difficult. We eventually found a farmer with suitable bales near Inverness. They are designated building bales, at the max density a standard baler can apply. 

20190427_122008.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DavidFrancis said:

Is there anything to tie the house to the ground? Or are you relying on friction?

brick or block houses rely on friction (Mortor does not stick to DPC!).

But a brick/block house on conventional footings isn't quite the same as a straw house sitting on piles of tyres where those piles don't seem to be connected one-to-the-other. Might be good in an earthquake, though!

5 hours ago, DavidFrancis said:

Is there anything to tie the house to the ground? Or are you relying on friction?

My question too. Conventiional timber frames are attached to the brick façade with 'hold down' straps and the weight of the brick keeps it in place.

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

What about slate dpc?

All dpcs reject water and this prevents chemical bonding with the mortar

Hi @Pord67 - sorry I'm a bit late catching this thread but what a great place you have in the making - such an unusual build method. That said, it looks to be an effective method. I know you are probably busy with everything but is there any chance you could document your experiences in some sort of a blog ? I believe, it would be a very valuable and useful resource for the forum. Top job though, and good luck with it.?

Thanks @Pord67thats really helpful. I was quoted for someone to come and wrap the whole thing which was astronomical. Didn't think of doing it myself. I'll have to see if I can some scaff sheeting locally.  My next job is to source underfloor insulation. Do you use any? Sorry it's off topic. Not sure if I'm meant to start another thread! :)

On 07/07/2020 at 19:32, DavidFrancis said:

But a brick/block house on conventional footings isn't quite the same as a straw house sitting on piles of tyres where those piles don't seem to be connected one-to-the-other. Might be good in an earthquake, though!

You're on shaky ground making statements like that...

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Strawman, we bought our scaffolding sheeting from Actavo Direct. 

For insulation in our suspended timber floor we used mainly offcuts of sheepskin to a depth of 300mm. It had already been washed and tanned (twice), and we added borax.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi, my wife and I are just in the process of buying a plot of land near Inverary, for a 1.5 storey straw build. I was just reading your thread when I came across "a year for a building warrant"? I'd be interested to pick your brain, if you're amenable, on how, and why this took so long, and potentially avoiding a few pitfalls? Hope it's all turned out brilliantly for you. Regards, Graham