Anyone know about laser printers?

ProDave

My reliable (if quirky) HP CP1525N colour laser printer has started to play up.  It's printing with a big black band down the left of the page.

I have only had this one on an old monochrome laser printer and a new toner cartridge fixed it. But before I splash out on a set of 4 new toner cartridges for this I want to be sure that will fix the problem and it's not something else.

It just started doing this one day.  It does not get much use.

Probably not the toner cartridge. I suspect either the waste toner bottle is full or the black imager is leaking. The cyan imager in my Lexmark is doing this at the moment. Be careful taking the printer apart - toner isn't nice stuff to inhale and it likes to get everywhere.

I came across this https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/LaserJet-Printing/Black-Line-printing-on-the-left-side-of-every-page/td-p/6591716

It is for a different printer but I thought I would try it.

The result was a part printed test page which showed the fault.  the toner was not "set" so I assume it had not yet been through the fuser thus eliminating that as being the fault.

There are 4 toner cartridges in this printer.  The line being printed is predominently black.  Looking at all the toner cartridges, they all have a ring of black toner around the drum at one end, and they seem to all be connected by a "belt" that has that black line along one side.

Does that get us any nearer?

I have tried the "cleaning" routine several times but all that does is print a blank page apart from the black line down the side.

find price of toner cartridges --could be as expensive as a new printer -myabe not same make --butas you don,t use it that much 

I have had expensive ones in the past and now just go for cheap ones that take sensible priced toners - and when its troublesome --strip and clean and if that don,t sort --bin and buy another

I am guessing pages per min will not high on your list 

Igo for muluit task units 

scan ,print +fax -cheap as chips

I can get a set of 4 "no name" toners for £26.  It's just that I would begrudge £26 if it then turns out the printer is toast. Hence trying to understand the fault.

I hate "fault finding by random substitution of parts"

I went for a laser at last swap as inkjets had proven useless for occasional use. Fed up with half full but useless dried up cartridges. (oh for a dot matrix and an ink ribbon)