Thoughts

So,

I've got the designs through from the designer for the loft conversion, I've noticed a few issues with the insulation and what I'm after but as far as I can tell everything else seems ok. 

But I've very little knowledge about this and I always appreciate others will see things that I don't, especially since I'm as far from being an expert about this as can be.

So if you could take a look and any advice, suggestions would be appreciated especially as this is a big investment for us so if you can see any cheaper ways of achieving similar results I'd like to hear them!

Linto

0004.jpg

0003.jpg

0002.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Building Control will check the drawings in more detail so let them worry about the BR requirements if you aren’t too sure.

You are converting a very big space and it’s that which is going to take the bulk of the cost. Moving some things internally are going to have very little of any effect on the overall build costs.

What is the reason for the fire doors or is it because one or both of the first floor Bedrooms do not have or meet the escape window requirements?

+1

Fire doors are normally only needed when a loft conversion makes it a three storey house but this is a bungalow so I don't think they are needed for that particular reason. 

The only time they would is if ‘at least’ one of the first floor Bedrooms could not provide an escape window. This is quite common for Bedrooms with side facing windows that are restricted with an overlooking/privacy Planning condition.

• Like 1

The downstairs layout just does not flow nicely. such a convoluted route from the front door to the stairs.  Is that the reason for all the FD's?

Reverse the upstairs front to back and the stairs will naturally turn towards the front door at the bottom.

The down stairs layout is quite a compromise, caused by a historic badly designed extension that we can't do much about.

I hadn't picked up in the fire doors, I'll query it. But I think it because of the height of the windows so they can't be used for escape.

The stairs are contained in the room to change them to end facing the front door we'll have to go through a supporting wall so more disruption than the boss can handle. 

Cheers for the advice

If the bottom of the openings exceed 1.1m then yes, they’re too high to be used as escape windows. If that is the case and assuming there is scope to adjust their position, that would be cheaper than having to provide fire doors to ‘all’ doors that lead onto the staircase, including W.C.’s and Bathrooms.

Am I right in thinking that we only need to have a protected route which goes any way out or does it have to go to the front door as to route it to the back door (through the kitchen then utility) would mean a lot fewer fire doors. The windows can't go any lower unfortunately. 

The protected corridor would have to lead to a final exit and not through other rooms.

Just a note that FD20’s would normally need to be fitted with intumescent seals. As these doors and seals need to be a tight fit and remain so throughout their life span, the doors may over time loosen up. This is why the majority end up fitting FD30’s as they don’t require the seals.

Edit: The specification is called up and noted in the bottom left of your first drawing.

Edited by DevilDamo

Planning said no to eaves windows unless obscured and the boss doesn't like obscured glass so it's a no go.

I appreciate all the questions and ideas though it's giving us lots to think about and rethink our original thoughts which is good.