Data networking. Extend or relocate router?

Guest Alphonsox
4 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

If the tv is smart, then any point in giving the BRay below it a connection?

IIRC Blu-Ray supports interactive content, so you can press a "tell me more" button and be taken directly to online content. Whether this is useful if you just want to watch films I can't say (I don't own one)

Guest Alphonsox
8 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Hmm. Sounds quite unnecessary to me.

Ill run a cable for it but I'll not bother making it off I think, unless someone can add to the merit / requirement of one?  

Good choice - I think removing the Blu-Ray connections allows you to use an 8-port switch plus an old router as switch/access point. Something like this :-

Switch

Port-1 - Virgin Box

Port-2 - Old Router/Access point

Port-3 - Console

Port-4 - Console

Port-5 - Console

Port-6 - PC

Port-7 - PC

Port-8 - TV

Old Router/ Access point

Port-1 - Switch

Port-2 - TV

Port-3 - TV

Port-4 - Spare

2 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

I read talk of a third party wireless access point. Does this just plug into my new switch via a patch lead and give it some juice ( extra mains socket required ?). Also, if correct, recommendations please?

I think it was probably me that mentioned the third party wireless I have used these previously and they are excellent:- Ubiquiti

They come supplied with a PoE injector so no power required to access point just a Cat5/6 cable.  They are fairly easy to setup with minimal config. Any questions fire them to me and I will do my best to answer.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Onoff said:

I can probably dig out and post an old TalkTalk router if you want to have a play:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Computers/Setting-up-a-second-router-as-a-slave-on-your-network/td-p/800353

image.jpeg

This is my old VM one. Any use? 

I see the one you have has an rj45 in and 4 out. This one has only got the F socket and no other means to introduce the 0's and 1's ?

If your saying I can run a cat 6 from my VM box to your one, I gain 4 more ports, and it'll also give me a WAP, then I'd be very grateful indeed. ? 

13 hours ago, Alphonsox said:

Good choice - I think removing the Blu-Ray connections allows you to use an 8-port switch plus an old router as switch/access point. Something like this :-

Switch

Port-1 - Virgin Box

Port-2 - Old Router/Access point

Port-3 - Console

Port-4 - Console

Port-5 - Console

Port-6 - PC

Port-7 - PC

Port-8 - TV

Old Router/ Access point

Port-1 - Switch

Port-2 - TV

Port-3 - TV

Port-4 - Spare

After being offered a 4 way router from onoff, this seems spot on. Blue ray can just plat discs afaic, but 1 redundant cat 5 left in just in case my boy can't life without it. 

I may get a 12-way switch but the price seems to jump a bit......any recommendations?

Thanks. 

Thanks.  

5 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

image.jpeg

This is my old VM one. Any use? 

I see the one you have has an rj45 in and 4 out. This one has only got the F socket and no other means to introduce the 0's and 1's ?

If your saying I can run a cat 6 from my VM box to your one, I gain 4 more ports, and it'll also give me a WAP, then I'd be very grateful indeed. ? 

Yep that's the concept. It might take a bit of messing around with settings but the collective on here should be able to assist. Nothing lost to try if you can wait for the post.

I've done it with two BT HomeHub 3 routers. I've now upgraded to a single Homehub 4. In theory I should be able to try it out with the TalkTalk one.

... and my setup is based around a managed (cos I can...) 48 port Cisco PoE switch off fleabay that set me back £25... gives me enough PoE ports to run 4 IP cameras, 2 wifi access points and 2 IP phones along with dual cables to every single room in the house (including 2 to the gates too ...!)

ok, so the main problem with using an old router as a switch is you 'normally'  lose one of the ports, as you need it for your 'incoming' cable, but, if you think you can work with that then i'll have a dig in the loft and see if I have another router kicking about,

I'll even send it to you 'plug and play' , so to speak.

Upcycle.....may be my favourite word ever! :)

@Steptoe I don't suppose you've a picture of the label on one of these TalkTalk psus? I've literally a box of many assorted wall warts. I try and mark them all with nail varnish as to what's what and store each in a freezer bag in a stacking crate but I got given that router and don't think I marked it.

I've a suspicion it might in fact be the unmarked one I've been using to power the LED strip light I got to go alongside the bath...

I keep every psu even if the appliance gets chucked. You never know!

7 hours ago, PeterW said:

@Nickfromwales stop being a tight arse

Yes Ma'am o.O

In basket, off to bank first thing.......I knew the kids Xmas money would come in handy :D ( joking )

Didn't even think about cameras, top man. ?

7 hours ago, PeterW said:

Won't give you a wifi point but none of the others will either as they have no way of becoming slave access points...

Looks like @Onoff and @Steptoe have a challenge my gauntlet lobbing amigo. 

If I can't get a second wifi access point then I'm back to moving the VM box :( ( no pressure guys :ph34r: ). 

3 hours ago, Onoff said:

Upcycle.....may be my favourite word ever! :)

@Steptoe I don't suppose you've a picture of the label on one of these TalkTalk psus? I've literally a box of many assorted wall warts. I try and mark them all with nail varnish as to what's what and store each in a freezer bag in a stacking crate but I got given that router and don't think I marked it.

I've a suspicion it might in fact be the unmarked one I've been using to power the LED strip light I got to go alongside the bath...

I keep every psu even if the appliance gets chucked. You never know!

If I can't get why fhy from your box then I'll roll with the one @PeterW has sniffed out for me, I'm buying it regardless as its a bargain, and I still need a min of an 8-way switch anyhoo. 

Thinking about the camera idea, I'm also looking to approach the guy that made the PC I got for my boy and having a house PC done, which would run 24/7, and have that recording. That a good idea or am I better off with a dedicated cctv recorder of some other magic beans. ?

I want the house PC to connect to my main / other tv's as a film bank, but these fire sticks and there associated wizardry currently escapes me. I'll raise that separately to keep this on an even keel. 

Focker out.