Help! Ugliest house. Render / cladding / dormer / porch ideas please!

Alex2004

Hi everyone,

I am looking for cost effective ways to transform the outside of our ugly house.  We are going to remove the current porch which is totally out of proportion with the house  and would like something very modern.  At the back, ground floor, we now have grey aluminium windows / doors and white render but the box dormer above it and also the whole of the front needs a complete make over. We are on a budget but would like something low maintenance and striking.  We also plan to re do the steps and front wall by drive to fit.

Any advice welcome - thank you.

front house.jpg

43 minutes ago, Alex2004 said:

Hi everyone,

I am looking for cost effective ways to transform the outside of our ugly house.  We are going to remove the current porch which is totally out of proportion with the house  and would like something very modern.  At the back, ground floor, we now have grey aluminium windows / doors and white render but the box dormer above it and also the whole of the front needs a complete make over. We are on a budget but would like something low maintenance and striking.  We also plan to re do the steps and front wall by drive to fit.

Any advice welcome - thank you.

front house.jpg

This is one I did for a friend last year 1980s brown facing brick 

2C108D17-E3F2-49E5-85F1-48D5DE90B2A0.jpeg

3FB20402-A6EF-46B3-AB4A-659FAE2C99F6.jpeg

60FECF70-906B-4541-9B06-B0CF49F655C6.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What is your ‘limited’ budget?

The most sensible thing would be to render over brickwork at ground floor level, rendered timber frame or dark tile/slate hung dormers, maybe grey aluminium windows and then a similar contrasting roof tile or slate. It’s quite common, is modern and very effective. Obviously the image below is showing individual dormers as opposed to one large dormer, but a similar look can still be achieved.

ADDCFC6F-32B8-4391-B235-CD011659C509.jpeg

Edited by DevilDamo
  • Like 2

I'm slightly stumped. 

Damo's idea looks to have potential, but even that looks expensive. Perhaps I'm just not feeling creative enough this morning.

The underlying thing jumping out at me is the proportions, but I can't think of an overall form that I like that is practical. It's too horizontal, unified, and one colour. Even the paving is the same colour. The two that come to mind are long, low bungalow and ranchhouse.

Perhaps there is value in breaking up the outline,  which could also be done using planting as an element, or a climber such as a virginia creeper, or vertical elements or a substantial  pergola or something projected forward for part of the length.

My limited thoughts.

(Update. Another long, low form which is found attractive I am reminded of is Orangery or Garden Pavilion - is there potential by also thinking about the immediate setting. Thought experiment: how would that appear if  the block paving was a law or a parterre?)

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

Thanks everyone.

Nod - I like the idea of incorporating some insulation when we do the front.  We didn't do this at the back as it was already partially rendered and we are just making good and painting it - see picture below. Any advice on adding the insulation would be very welcome.  I do like the use of stone in your photo, I think mixed materials may be a good idea to break up the too wide shape of the house.

Puntloos - I love that look but would be over budget I think.

DevilDamo - budget is about £20-£25k to include both sides of dormer, porch and new roof coverings.  Your photo looks smart but I want to move away from the small tiles as the dormer is such a large area.  Looking for something more contemporary - maybe wood / metal cladding or possible breaking it up with a mixture of materials which could also be used in limited areas on the ground floor.

Ferdinand - I think you are right, breaking it up with vertical elements is the key but which ones would look right is tricky.  I really like the idea of something projected on the front - maybe I could work something in with the porch. Will think about the orangery / pavilion aspect. I have added a porch idea I had below I but maybe this look could be extended.

House rear 2.jpeg

House rear.jpeg

Porch.jpg

1 hour ago, Alex2004 said:

Thanks everyone.

Nod - I like the idea of incorporating some insulation when we do the front.  We didn't do this at the back as it was already partially rendered and we are just making good and painting it - see picture below. Any advice on adding the insulation would be very welcome.  I do like the use of stone in your photo, I think mixed materials may be a good idea to break up the too wide shape of the house.

Puntloos - I love that look but would be over budget I think.

DevilDamo - budget is about £20-£25k to include both sides of dormer, porch and new roof coverings.  Your photo looks smart but I want to move away from the small tiles as the dormer is such a large area.  Looking for something more contemporary - maybe wood / metal cladding or possible breaking it up with a mixture of materials which could also be used in limited areas on the ground floor.

Ferdinand - I think you are right, breaking it up with vertical elements is the key but which ones would look right is tricky.  I really like the idea of something projected on the front - maybe I could work something in with the porch. Will think about the orangery / pavilion aspect. I have added a porch idea I had below I but maybe this look could be extended.

House rear 2.jpeg

House rear.jpeg

Porch.jpg

I am in the market for a porch like this. Any ideas or pointers where i could buy one from please?

Sorry can't advise on your home, the wife has the imagination, i'm just the muscle (and money)! 

Thanks in advance

I think I would look at this  under 3 aspects:

1 - Simplify. The current view has lots of mini-textures, but they are all basically the same shade.

2 - Give it a face. Needs to be something significant enough to change the way the eye is drawn into the view.

3 - Root it. Currently there is nothing visually attaching the bulding to the site. 

That budget will be an issue. As I see it doing anything to the roof could be 12-18k, so I might leave that alone.

Be grateful that some people  have bigger problems ?

hilcote-blockhouse.thumb.jpg.151196d3d1bf886c99030bf31b86d6c7.jpg

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

There was a previous long thread a couple of years ago where we all weighed in on one of these, but I can't find it.

I think the way you will get some good ideas  is to play aournd. Try this:

1 - Get a Google streetview or a photo.

2 - Put it through an edge detect filter, which will give you a thing that looks like a quick pencil sketch.

3 - Print out ten copies.

4 - Make like Picasso with your pens or crayons or felt tips for your different ideas. Only spend 2 minutes on each one.

Works surprisingly well.

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

There was a previous long thread a couple of years ago where we all weighed in on one of these, but I can't find it.

Was it this one? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, newhome said:

Was it this one? 

Yes.

Lots of good ways of thinking on there.

It gives a really good idea of how much of this type of thing is just chipping away at the ideas for a long time.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

12 hours ago, Alex2004 said:

I’m assuming replacement windows are also to be included within that budget? If so, I do think you’re going to struggle to get all of it for that figure. If new windows are to be included, I’d suggest obtaining quotes for those first so you can see what money there is left over to tidy up the aesthetics. Instead of rendering over brickwork, you could just paint them which is a very cheap alternative. Another option is to clad the walls but you now start increasing costs substantially. Any finish you do apply over the brickwork (apart from painting) would have to be thought about before the windows incase you need extended cills.

Is this your forever home? Are you looking to carry out the changes to then sell in the near future as you may not recuperate the costs?

Thanks for the replies and links! Sorry, the porch was just a pic I found DorsetLuke, I haven't sourced someone who can do one of these yet.

Ferdinand - your comment about how the house isn't rooted to the area really rings true, it just looks like it has been dropped in the plot. Have started printing off my pics to draw on!

DevilDamo - yes this is a forever home, we've done most of the inside now but as usual everything has cost more than expected so budget is tighter.  I have a brickwork area to paint at the back so will see what that looks like, problem is we have very, very textured, patterned bricks so the task could be lengthy.  Replacement windows will be required and some additional velux or similar to bring light into a very dark hall.

Any ideas for the structure on the front, like Ferdinand mentioned some kind of pergola?  If a structure is attached to the house what material would need to be used if we are going for a modern look. I like these below.

Pergola 2.jpg

Pergola.jpg

17 hours ago, Alex2004 said:

Ferdinand - your comment about how the house isn't rooted to the area really rings true, it just looks like it has been dropped in the plot. Have started printing off my pics to draw on!

DevilDamo - yes this is a forever home, we've done most of the inside now but as usual everything has cost more than expected so budget is tighter.  I have a brickwork area to paint at the back so will see what that looks like, problem is we have very, very textured, patterned bricks so the task could be lengthy.  Replacement windows will be required and some additional velux or similar to bring light into a very dark hall.

Any ideas for the structure on the front, like Ferdinand mentioned some kind of pergola?  If a structure is attached to the house what material would need to be used if we are going for a modern look. I like these below.

Thanks for coming back. A few further thoughts now that we have a little more context - eg it being a forever home.

I think there is too much focus  on the building itself as I have hinted. I think you need to reflect some more on how you will actually live in it, and how eg the hierarchy of space will work - public space, semi-public, semi-private, private. I think one question is that at the moment the entire front is public space - ie a passerby can see right up to the wall of our building.

The hint at a pergola is about intermediate space - where are your children or grandchildren going to play, where will you eat your breakfast or supper  outside, where will you sit with your mates and a beer,  where will you have conversations with your neighbours, bonfire night parties,  buffets and so on? The answers depend on he site, the  orientation to the sun,  what you actually own, the layout of the close  (looks like an open plan cul-de-sac with fences under 1m but old enough that you can get away with bending a few rules).

I can see an argument for learning from the house form of eg Central Europe (high fences at the boundary)  or Africa / ME (treat it as a compound). In the UK at the least i might try to turn part of that paved area into semi-private space where you can sit out,  and neighbours can observe if they deliberately look but not enter without perceived permission. One way would to put a wall and/or hedge round your boundary at the front, or a hedge (forever home = time to grow). Then if you have a pergola plus division within that new outside space you get a whole new half to your garden.

I am planning an outside terrace at the front of mine for sitting,  as that is where the sun is throughout the day. But I already have a wall round my front garden / drive.

Can you do something with that dwarf wall - knock  a few holes in it such  that it becomes a row of seats with something replacing the first bit of paving? Render it pink? Parterre? Checkers, Nine Mens Morris, Hopscotch and a Labyrinth set into  the paving design for the under-12s and everyone else? Perhaps take some inspiration from the 

Get out there and get some ideas. eg Inspiration from the Jardin du Luxembourg in Paris or Village Squares with moderate sized fruit trees over paving?

Use you imagination, but give it some food to chew on.

Ferdinand

• Like 1

On the building itself.

You have a reasonably plain and not very interesting building.

You don' have to focus entirely on changing the structure itself, and personally i think I would look through the lens of using it (argued in last post) rather than  "what does it look like". I think that changes will be appropriate,  but that I would treat it as perhaps one package now and another one further down the track - perhaps think 7-10 years. And I think the roof (unless it is failing) is one I would leave for now as it could swallow so  much of your budget.

Consider Las Vegas ?.

You go there for three reasons - gambling, floor shows and fun. But the cards and the go-go dancers do not just stand there to be looked at. Both are also about display, and concealment, and diversion of the senses, and implication about things unseen, and creating thoughts in the mind of the viewer which haven't actually been done. Play some games and make it a house fun.

You can do that with your house - if you put a suitable pergola or part or perforated wall 3m in front of your house you may be able to leave it as is, or do something inexpensive. You can grow a climber (eg Virginia Creeper or a Wisteria) right up the end gable to hide it. Or a half width terrace to break up the monotonous facade.

I am slightly drawn to a simple render of the walls, and leaving the roof and windows alone unless there is a real reason to do it, and then spend the weight  of the budget on things that directly impact on your enjoyment of living there.

If you want I think you could be quite bold - eg somehing posmodern could be interesting, such as an arcade build from royal blue bricks, but that might need careful handling.

Just thoughts.

Ferdinand

• Like 2

Hi Alex, 

I've given this a little thought. Although initial impressions mightn't stun, the house isn't actually that bad. Just wearing the wrong frock. I think on a modest budget you could make huge improvements.

There is no visual break from the hard brown surfaces running from the driveway through to the low wall, the rockery/garden and the walls. The expanse of plain brick above the door also jars. I suspect this was done for ease of maintenance but lends to the "quarry floor" appearance of the whole thing.  

The windows are flush with the external wall giving a caravanesque, depthless quality, lacking the 3D appearance of solidity and quality. 

The roof and the dormer are what they are, but the combination of weathered tiles and various shades of brown give that feeling of putting a three course meal into a blender.

My suggestions:

1. Simplify the colour pallet, choose 3-4 main complimentary colours and stick to them. 

2. Improve the appearance of the house openings by adding some depth.

3. Break up the hard surfaces. 

You could remove the roof and replace it with 400mm I Joists, pumped with cellulose, externally insulate with 300mm rockwool with a modern thin layer render, new triple glazed windows €100k plus etc etc etc

Meanwhile back in the real world with bills to pay, and if your primary objective is aesthetic improvement rather that comfort/energy upgrades, I've made some suggestions below, see what you think.

Jonathan 

I don't think brick and a contemporary aesthetic are mutually exclusive.

CGarchitect - Professional 3D Architectural Visualization User ... 

Buy some tile paint, and give the whole roof, including the shingles on the dormer a new lease of life.Painting Terracotta Roof Tiles Step 4 applying Dulux Paint - Able ...

Consider some contemporary window mouldings to give the windows depth. Door Exterior Casing & Add Trim To Garage Door!!Add Hardware To ...

Paint the windows and the fascia+soffit a tasteful colour.   Spray painting service: Kitchen cabinets; uPVC windows, doors ...

Update the front door to a more modern design. A coat of paint,some new glazing and some ironmongery might do this. DIY job shows how newly painted front door can add kerb appeal to ...

Add a tasteful porch overhang to break up the large area of brick above the door and provide shelter. Change its colour as required to achieve the contemporary aesthetic. Porch Canopy Ideas - Easy Craft Ideas

Dig out the area of limestone and plant lawn or tidy shrubbery in this area. 

Take up the last 2-3m of brick paving nearest to the house and replant with lawn or similar if space allows. This terraced effect would settle the house into its surrounds and reduce the feeling of living in a parking lot. 

Modern terraced garden with level lawns and colourful planting

• Like 4

Thank you Ferdinand and Iceverge some great ideas there!

Ferdinand - we are a bit restricted at the front as need space for cars turning but could certainly divide some of the space and fence / add features. We have a west facing back garden which meets all our needs in terms of entertaining / chill / private space so the focus can truly be on the aesthetics of the front and making it more at home in the plot.  Lots of ideas for me to ponder - thanks!

Iceverge - yes I feel I need to be more confident that some small changes may impact a lot. The roof tile paint looks fantastic  - is this hard wearing etc? We have lots of lychen / moss on our tiles, all the houses do close by, I wonder if this will spoil the effect or make it impossible to use, will try cleaning a tile up.

I really dislike the texture and colour of the bricks so will have to render or paint.  Any ideas of what materials could work on the dormer please?  Could the length be broken up by some wood areas / render so it's not just a massive rectangle!? I like the idea of adding external mouldings to the windows, is this an expensive option, where would I look for a supplier of these please?

I haven't had a chance to explore how I could change the area around the front of the house yet but have lots of food for though which I will work with and come back on.

13 hours ago, Alex2004 said:

Thank you Ferdinand and Iceverge some great ideas there!

Ferdinand - we are a bit restricted at the front as need space for cars turning but could certainly divide some of the space and fence / add features. We have a west facing back garden which meets all our needs in terms of entertaining / chill / private space so the focus can truly be on the aesthetics of the front and making it more at home in the plot.  Lots of ideas for me to ponder - thanks!

Iceverge - yes I feel I need to be more confident that some small changes may impact a lot. The roof tile paint looks fantastic  - is this hard wearing etc? We have lots of lychen / moss on our tiles, all the houses do close by, I wonder if this will spoil the effect or make it impossible to use, will try cleaning a tile up.

I really dislike the texture and colour of the bricks so will have to render or paint.  Any ideas of what materials could work on the dormer please?  Could the length be broken up by some wood areas / render so it's not just a massive rectangle!? I like the idea of adding external mouldings to the windows, is this an expensive option, where would I look for a supplier of these please?

I haven't had a chance to explore how I could change the area around the front of the house yet but have lots of food for though which I will work with and come back on.

Thanks for the reply.

Can I emphasise that the  most valuable thing is not the particular ideas, but that you take an active approach to find and learn *your* ideas that give you the closest version of your ideal within what you can afford. A huge amount of it is about taking the time to find the best specifics for you.

Really, one aspect of what all the comments coming back should do is be stepping stones to your own unique solution, using the things identified, but also all other things you are now going to go out and find.  

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Thanks 1

• 7 months later...

Hi everyone, thanks for all your previous comments, everything has been on hold but I can, at last, start planning this project again.  Currently looking at rendering the ground floor, new grey windows and some kind of bigger feature porch instead of the current one.  Still undecided what to do with the dormer, could continue the white render or possibly clad it. Here are some badly put together pictures of how it might look with a dark or light dormer and with the porch flattened and a bit of landscaping.  If I could extend the porch out and along it would break up the front and be much more practical. I'm working on some better pictures but finding trying to incorporate the porch quite challenging. I like the picture below but not sure how that type of porch would fit with our house.

Thanks.

dark dormer.jpeg

white dormer.jpeg

Square porch.jpg

For the look you hope to achieve I think you'll be disappointed if you don't change the roof covering too and while you're up there it'd be a shame not to re-insulate

Could you post a dimentioned drawing of the facade along with a picture perpendicular to the front  and I can try some ideas if I have the spare time. 

Thanks Iceverge. I think it would look a lot better with a slate style roof, it’s just budget. Tempted to try and get the roof cleaned and resprayed dark grey, which I think you mentioned before, but it’s a risk.

I will work on the dimensional picture.