A small to middling eave overhang, how many mm?

I am building in a Lincolnshire village where most properties built in the past 150 years do not have a fascia or soffit, guttering is fixed to metal brackets embedded in the top brick course. The planners deemed that my plot should feature boxed eaves.

The plan shows a truss eave overhang of 250mm plus fascia thickness but I am thinking of tweaking this down to 175mm. Would this reduced overhang still be within a normal range?

Background: 2-story house with a slate hipped roof and 30 degree pitch.

250mm is only a 2 board (assuming its boards not uPVC soffit) width, and not that wide for something with a 30 degree pitch. You would only have a fascia of 100mm with that pitch which I doubt you would get a fascia bracket on for guttering and get the tile overhang ( which is 30-50mm off the fascia) if you drop it to 175mm

On 18/06/2020 at 18:13, Mr Punter said:

Why the change?  You need to look at this in the context of the overall design and decide.

Fair question. The "context" driving my thoughts is the variety of eave details in my local village which is also a conservation area.

Most properties are 100+ years old. Back then the modest homes had a minimal roof overhang with their gutters on brackets embedded within the wall. The grander homes have big statement boxed eaves and the mid ranking properties have a faux facia fixed directly to the wall.

As my new build is not in the grand category I was considering reducing the eave overhang. The historical reference for my plot is a reduced scale georgian rectory built when the local parish was going through a financially lean patch.

On 18/06/2020 at 18:32, PeterW said:

250mm is only a 2 board (assuming its boards not uPVC soffit) width, and not that wide for something with a 30 degree pitch. You would only have a fascia of 100mm with that pitch which I doubt you would get a fascia bracket on for guttering and get the tile overhang ( which is 30-50mm off the fascia) if you drop it to 175mm

I am struggling to picture the geometry of the problem you are raising here but thanks for the warning. I will upload the present technical drawing showing the eave detail in a following post.

On 18/06/2020 at 17:52, epsilonGreedy said:

The plan shows a truss eave overhang of 250mm plus fascia thickness but I am thinking of tweaking this down to 175mm. Would this reduced overhang still be within a normal range?

And

7 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

Why does the overhang and pitch dictate the fascia depth?! I've got a 200mm soffit and 225mm fascia on mine with a 35 deg pitch. 

Unless you put a drop leg on the rafter tail or have deep rafters, you are fairly limited. @Oz07 did you use a deep rafter..?

Your assuming he's using a small section truss. Yeh deeper fascia than rafter legs cut plumb. Sprags fixed flush with bottom of fascia back ontop of brickwork. Don't forget though with concrete tiles your fascia wants to be between 25-50 proud at top rather, around 100 mm plumb cut on rather then a 50mm overhangs below with 2" sprags