Finishing the block garden room with an overall height of under 2500mm

Ttw

Hi all, I've had some pretty amazing replies to previous posts and thought I'd best carry on picking your brains. 

Im building a garden room under the permitted development route. It's 2 skinned using concrete block. I've kept the dpc as low as possible but worrying about keeping the finished height within the 2500mm. 

Ive got french doors to go in that are 2130 including the cill which doesn't leave much for the flat roof. 

The flat roof including 100mm insulation, 2 sheets of ply, timbers to span 3400 and internal skin plus the required fall for a rubber roof. 

The dpc is about 120mm above ground level. 

Any advice would be appreciated. 

Hi Ttw,

I can't speak for anyone else, obviously, but it's not clear from you post what you want help with? Is it the type of roof to build and how to stay within the 2.5 metre height restriction? If so, this chap's videos are quite instructive and, as in the example I've linked to, he uses a sort of hybrid between a warm and cold roof and doubles up the joists for added strength on wide(ish) spans like yours using 5" x 2" timber. See if this helps:  Roof construction for a garden office I’m

Tim.

It has to be under 2.5m within 2m of the boundary. Elsewhere the eaves must be 2.5m but the rest can be upto 3m (for a single pitch roof) or 4m (for a dual pitched roof). So it might be possible to slope the roof down from the patio doors towards the boundary depending on layout. Is in the corner of the plot?

Edited by Temp

Also the 2.5m is from the highest ground level next to the building.  So in theory you can sink it into the ground on one side to achieve more height.  This is what we plan to do. 

Another way of maximising height is by using a level-threshold.

image.thumb.png.df018d13e12ae1b26486596cd93f8d38.png

Edited by Dan Feist