PP: What should I say or not say? =)

puntloos

Especially for the architects and planning people here.. 

I believe I have a 'fair' house design as it stands, not doing anything deeply outrageous, but as with all designs I'm sure there's a few choices that 'push the goodwill' I suppose (my gable sticks forward somewhat from the house line). 

Does anyone have good practices around creating a DAS (Design and Access Statement)?

Do planners care about greenness? Elegance of design? Maximizing space utilization? Large gardens? 

What type of wording helps "you, check out this rad stuff man!" vs "dear sirs and madams of high standing..".. ;) 

Obv if only I knew the actual case handler I could tailor to his to him/her, but as it stands does anyone have opinions on stuff that often helps or hurts your case?

12 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Do you actually need one ..?

A lot of councils no longer require a DAS for single dwellings. Check before you bother spending money on it. 

Well the question perhaps is more "if it would help"? Or would it basically be ignored if the council doesn't require it?

Some basically won’t read them - I know one local to us doesn’t as they questioned the finish on a wall that wasn’t documented on the application or the plans but was in the DAS and they said they wanted it adding to the plans. 

I think what helped us was our architect producing a so called street scene drawing. This was a black pen ink and green watercolour sketch showing our house, the church on the left and 16C cottage on the right. It was largely imaginary because there was/is nowhere you could/can actually stand and see all three buildings side by side due to trees and hedges, but it showed how the style of each went together. 

I think a large part of its success was the use of ink and water colour to give a more consistent style to all three buildings. It probably wouldn't have worked as well had he produced a photo montage or an accurate computer model.

As for a D&A statement I think that would depend on the plot and the reasons planners might have for rejecting. For example if they have already said you are unlikely to get PP because of xyz then I think you need to address xyz somewhere in the application. The D&A statement is a reasonable place to do that.

our architect produced a design and access statement for our application. I don't know if it had any effect or not but I still look at it now and again to remind myself of what will hopefully soon be!

we put some nice sketch-up images in and also some photos of the model we created as well as the usual gubbins. it was all included as part of the flat fee to get us to planning that our architect offered us.

Very much dependent on your LPA, I'm afraid.

I think you can find out who will be handling your planning app by phoning up and asking - they should be divvied up on an area basis (eg ward) or perhaps type  of application.

I am having to go back into planning on our gym because they put a time limit on our change of use that caused serious problems, and I want to do a variation on the condition and avoid having to do a full sequential test again, as the last one cost several  £k.

The best you can do is probably to use the skill and judgement you have built up asking all these questions, and look at previous appps,  what has already been done and be ready that they may ask for some extras. Once its in keep talking to your planner and your team.

And remember you can always withdraw it or have a second go.

Ferdinand