Tecsound roll.

A mate of mine is a very good small builder, keeps upto date with stuff, works on some very nice places in Berkshire. 

Hes doing a loft conversion at the moment and using rolls of this tecsound stuff, it looks like a peel and stick membrane that he is sticking onto acoustic plasterboard, then another layer of plasterboard on top. 

Any good to anybody. 

• 2 months later...
On 14/06/2020 at 09:36, Russell griffiths said:

A mate of mine is a very good small builder, keeps upto date with stuff, works on some very nice places in Berkshire. 

Hes doing a loft conversion at the moment and using rolls of this tecsound stuff, it looks like a peel and stick membrane that he is sticking onto acoustic plasterboard, then another layer of plasterboard on top. 

Any good to anybody. 

Seems like a bit of a waste of money if he is already using two layers of 'acoustic' (higher surface density) plasterboard.

e.g. Tecsound 100 is 5.2mm thick and has a surface density of 10kg/m2, SoundBloc 12.5mm is 10.6kg/m2

Tecsound 100 is circa £12.50 m2, SoundBloc 12.5mm is circa £3.20 m2

so £9 extra per m2 in materials to save 7.3mm of wall thickness, doesn't add up to me.

Aaaah, but Tecsound is a rather different material to HSD plasterboard, it has a VERY high damping factor and can kill noise a lot, particularly if you can sandwich it between a couple of rigid bits. I've only used it at work on metal panels/structures (and in the car ?) but it does seem to work well.

Edited by Reiver

• 2 months later...
On 04/09/2020 at 22:17, Reiver said:

Aaaah, but Tecsound is a rather different material to HSD plasterboard, it has a VERY high damping factor and can kill noise a lot, particularly if you can sandwich it between a couple of rigid bits. I've only used it at work on metal panels/structures (and in the car ?) but it does seem to work well.

I have wondered about this.  I have read that the combination of different types of mass can have a better impact for the various range of noise frequencies that one might encounter, however I have read this on websites where they sell the products, so they may have a bias. 

We are very space restrained throughout our upstairs. Key is our new master which is a timber frame vaulted ceiling extension (walls are 150mm thick studs, filled cellotex, cement board on outside with thin coat render... ceilings are 150mm thick joists, again cellotex filled, will be PIR on the underside too to get to regs, and is clay tiles).  3 of the walls are external.

We planned a single layer 15mm high density plasterboard inside (walls and ceiling) as it is small, so coming further off the wall is undesirable. Could double board the ceiling, have read double boarding is greatly diminishing returns. I am weighing up 5mm of Tecsound between the pasterboard and studwork (walls and ceiling), having read the different type of mass from it will compliment the HDP beyond the less impressive density addition (as pointed out by @Moonshine). Its a big expense so looking for some reassurance that this isnt a waste of time.  Wife is a very light sleeper, have 3G windows ordered, but with 3 of the walls being external, and the vaulted ceiling, wondering if paying for Tecsound is worthwhile.

If anyone can confirm either way whether the Tecsound / MVL layer will add material value to us, it would be appreciated.  And if a good idea, is Tecsound the brand to buy, or could save myself a lot with something else?

Have other problem walls (most masonary) in the house that are on another thread. 

Many thanks in advance.

My wording is so poor sometimes. 

To simplify, does anyone have a view as to whether it would be impactful to implement a MVL layer (like Tecsound), underneath a single layer of 15mm high density plasterboard (HDP) where it is a timber frame room? 

Room has three external walls and vaulted ceiling, all of which which filled  and capped with celotex to regs.  Would Tecsound just add mass, or are the sound benefits more diverse?  If it just adds mass, its a very expensive way to add some incremental mass to the greater mass HDP.  Is there a small decoupling effect to be had through the MVL use, but is that relevant for external walls of a 1st floor room?  Wanting to keep weather and street noises out.

Edited by tanneja

5 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Street noise will pass through windows more than walls - whats the glazing in the room ...?

I’d just double board with a standard 15mm board and I think you’ll be surprised how quiet it becomes. 

Thanks @PeterW glazing with be 3G Internorm so the best sound insulation I could afford.

2 hours ago, PeterW said:

Street noise will pass through windows more than walls - whats the glazing in the room ...?

i wouldn't be so sure, from what @tanneja has described the external wall build up is 150mm timber frame with PIR insulation in the cavity. PIR isn't good for sound insulation and it won't have the same level sound insulation as if it was a porous insulation (e.g. mineral wool), of course if mineral wool was used the U-value would significantly drop.

In this case the glazing may actually not be the weakest link.

@Moonshine the Rw 33dB it says.

Glass buildup 

4b/18Ar/4/18Ar/b4 

Partner is a light sleeper.  Traffic should be ok as this is the back of the house.  They are more kept awake by the noise from heavy rain or very strong gusts (a bit focused atm with the extra noise we get when the gusts hit the scaffolding tarp).  We also have ground floor ceiling skylights near this bedroom, so rain onto those  could generate a lot of sound.  

I am a bit concerned with double HDP a ceiling, a lot of weight above our heads for the next 20 years.  However we could get it on one of the walls and the ceiling. from a space perspective.

We have had a fabric first mentality throughout, or at least we think we have, but don't want to pay unnecessarily for the wrong kind / amount of sound insulation. 

Edited by tanneja

I'm in the position of having to decide this morning, as they will need the appropriate materials tomorrow to get decorating.

My builder is concerned by the weight of one layer of HDP, let alone 2, on the ceiling especially.  And understandably my partner can't quantify what noise level will keep them from sleeping.  They haven't been in a timber/PIR + vaulted room before (existing house is masonary).  The foxes screaming is never enjoyable, but they are likely too loud for us to eliminate.

I feel the two options I have in my arsenal, given the very small space tolerances we have (very close to building reg hallway widths already), our budget, and the concerns with weight on the structure elements, are:

- somehow apply a single layer of 15mm HDP to the walls and ceilings, the details:

1. one wall needs fire board so that could probably go over the top of this
  2. The ceiling needs a further 50mm of PIR under the joists, this was planned with insulated plasterboard but could perhaps be done with PIR sheet with HDP over the top (with some lengthy mechanical fixings...is this safe?  Or do we HDP with acoustic plasterboard on top?). 
  3. Presumably I would ask them to use acoustic sealant in places, such as to fill plasterboard to floor gaps.  Do I let them but walls and ceilings together or have a hap that is filled with sealant to reduce flanking across surfaces if we want to address noise further in the future? 
  4. And for sockets and switches, can I use the putty pads effectively on the inside of the back boxes, as we can't see how we will get a good seal otherwise.

- instead pay more for 2.5 / 5mm of Tecsound around the room, and then could either regular board or 12.5mm HDP over the top perhaps.  I woudl guess this would go behind any additional PIR that is needed proud of the stud walls.  Based on Tecsound and HDP seemingly having equivalent density, if went the 2.5mm Tecsound route then would end up the same mass as 15mm HDP,  but for more material cost and It would have its own installation challenges I am sure.  Would we get a noticeable step change in sound improvement via incorporating the Tecsound? Some kind of decoupling effect from either the sound of the elements or neighbourhood?

Thanks in advance with your patience on this, and any further help anyone can be to us.