The disadvantages of being an engineer

JFDIY

On 14/06/2020 at 07:54, Russell griffiths said:

I must admit I look at the wife’s sewing machine, it is a magical piece of machinery. 

Russ, just in case

... she looks at you looking at it.... Danger...Look away... Christmas is not far off. Have you seen how much a good one costs? 

My Mum was a seamstress. I used to watch in awe as she sewed on her machines.

The best bit was in the late 70s when thd local yummy mummys would come round for fittings for evening dresses etc.

?

Edit: Nearly as good as the Kays Catalogue...

Edited by Onoff
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Onoff said:

Edit: Nearly as good as the Kays Catalogue...

Must be a Kentish thing.  When I was at school there (was a boarding school), one of the boys got caught with a catalogue in the wood at the end of the grounds.

Probably a Barrister now.

On 14/06/2020 at 07:02, SteamyTea said:

I worked at a place where all the fitters where called engineers.

"fitter " is an even much more maligned job title 

when my dad was working at gorton tank --railway engine maker in manchester in the 1920,s 

the "fitters" were very skilled as the hand  scrape/fitted all bearings on steam engines   and even the beds on lathes and milling machines etc were hand scraped to alow pockets for oil to sit in to keep beds lubricated

then the term mechanic got the same treatment , they were not just "fitters" as the modern meaning of the word is used .

when  I started in motor trade you were a mechanic --now its a technicain 

i think fitter /IT nerd would be better descripition for modern motor engineer - not much mechani ing going on or actually repairing or rebuilding of things 

no one rebuilds an engine or a g/box --you get  one from the breakers -lack of skill +tools and cost of labour and bits make it the sensible way to go 

when you can buy a low mileage engine for £500 -and just the cost of a set of pistons +bearings+gaskets is more than that ,never cost to regrind crank and rebore +hone block .-add another £300

then the labour --no wonder the skill s required for such things is dissappearing  in all but the motor sport section of the trade

• Like 1

That is why I have a 68 year old dumper, a 65 year old tractor and a 52 year old classic car to play with. My day to day car has to go to a garage for a diagnostic even to bleed  the brakes!!,!,

1 hour ago, scottishjohn said:

"fitter " is an even much more maligned job title 

Yes it is.

I think we need to get the term 'technician' a better reputation.

I am not sure about now, but a decade ago technicians had done a BTEC.

I think this is the real problem.  I stopped counting the levels at 40.  And I am at Level 7.

https://www.gov.uk/what-different-qualification-levels-mean/list-of-qualification-levels

Edited by SteamyTea

2 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Yes it is.

I think we need to get the term 'technician' a better reputation.

I am not sure about now, but a decade ago technicians had done a BTEC.

I think this is the real problem.  I stopped counting the levels at 40.

https://www.gov.uk/what-different-qualification-levels-mean/list-of-qualification-levels

the even call bin men 

watse disposal technicans 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

the even call bin men 

watse disposal technicans 

Waste disposal is a broad term though.

The person that picks up the bins from the street would only need sensible levels of training, though they may be be qualified in the field, or other fields. My 'bin men' are very articulate and interesting, though they are jobsworth that will not pick up legitimate stray rubbish.

The person that designs, commissions and runs a land fill site is probably a Degree or Masters qualified engineer or chemist.  Not that you would often see that person on site as they are probably running a dozen sites.

But the person that runs the department may well just be someone that got lucking in the politics of local government.  They may, or may not be qualified.

And the leader of the local council is elected and any qualifications they have may have no relevance to the job.

Edited by SteamyTea