Self Build Insurance

Jilly

Hi there, I can't find this info fully  in old threads. 

Please could someone please run thru the different insurances needed and the pros and cons and obligations and scary things to be aware of?

I am having unexpected problems finding insurance.  I had a quote yesterday for £5k per annum for my conversion because I said I wanted to get to first fix and then and hire subbies, so I'm thinking I may look for a turnkey contractor. I was refused outright by one company because the building has cladding (planning permission condition in Conservation Area), I presume post Grenfell. 

We used Protec less than 2 k 

We only used the basic package 

Insure us against someone wandering on and injuring themselves 

Fire damage to the house 

Once you start adding liability for contractors or tool and plant insurance 
The price almost doubled 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jilly said:

I had a quote yesterday for £5k per annum for my conversion because I said I wanted to get to first fix and then and hire subbies, so I'm thinking I may look for a turnkey contractor. I was refused outright by one company because the building has cladding (planning permission condition in Conservation Area), I presume post Grenfell. 

That does seem very high. I take it that price doesn't include the warranty. I don't know, but I guess it could be that conversions are more expensive than new builds as the underlying asset of the existing house is at risk.

Do shop around as prices vary hugely. SelfBuildZone are another provider to try if you haven't already.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...