Front Garden - Planning Permission

Cath27

I live on a new estate where all the houses are open plan. I hate my open plan front garden its a cat toilet and plants don't grow as concrete has been laid underneath. Looking at the Planning Portal I can pave over the garden with permeable materials. However, it doesn't say whether I can raise up the height of the garden. I can foresee kids cycling across the property if I pave over the garden.

There is also a water meter in the lawn itself.

Id appreciate any ideas for improving the front garden if any.

Be careful what you use. Cats sometimes like gravel or shingle. Too much like cat litter.

I'd be tempted to hire a digger and a skip, get the rubble/concrete out and some new topsoil in so plants will grow.

Another possibility might be raised beds made from railway sleepers? Kids might use them as seats unless you get lots of trailing plants in them.

Edited by Temp

58 minutes ago, Cath27 said:

I live on a new estate where all the houses are open plan. I hate my open plan front garden its a cat toilet and plants don't grow as concrete has been laid underneath. Looking at the Planning Portal I can pave over the garden with permeable materials. However, it doesn't say whether I can raise up the height of the garden. I can foresee kids cycling across the property if I pave over the garden.

There is also a water meter in the lawn itself.

Dog ? .

Or larger cat.

Personally I have a supersoaker, which helps but not always.

Edited by Ferdinand

I think you will not want it completely open plan, even if only a narrow border to help delineate your space. So think carefully about future desired planting. In such if you choose your ground cover it mat deter or discourage cats (or shrubs to hide them), and consider not having plants they like to eat. I have a variety of ornamental grasses and at least 5 cats seem to like it for their digestion.

A scrambling pyracantha might be a good option, or something low and spiky or high and spiky that drops its leaves but they last for some time. 

For surface, I think that they don't like to pause on loose gravel, which can be permeable and inexpensive but you will need to take care to prevent it moving to the pavement.

Alternatively you could think in terms of something that is easy to clean rather than purely anti-cat.

(Update: I suppose low and spiky cover every politician in the country.)

F

Edited by Ferdinand

1 hour ago, Cath27 said:

• Prickly plants, ground hugging roses, that pyro-'summat' plant
  • A hidden Police Stinger (spike strip) for the bikes,
  • Dig a child-and-bike-size hole so the problem appears and disappears at almost the same instant,   while you decide how to deal with inevitable complaints and get ready for the paperwork.