Joinery quote

sw879

Hi everyone

We are having some joinery work done (see image attached) to create a hinged door to our kitchen.  The door will have a crittal style look and it will have to be fire rated.  Our joiner says the doors are timber and they will be glazed and spray painted/lacquered.  We have been quoted £900 for the door.  Does this seem reasonable?  

I've asked a few other places but they say they are not open at the moment due to the ongoing pandemic so I don't have anything to compare.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

365472422_Screenshot2020-06-12at10_59_30.thumb.png.52b59e756bc8c9cc6e287f1bd3c9c80c.png

1 hour ago, sw879 said:

We have been quoted £900 for the door.  Does this seem reasonable?  

Hi.

Chippies here charge £25 / hour. Say that door is 2 full days of her time / fabricate / paint / laquer/ , £400. Materials £100. Profit 10%,   £50 ,  piss-taking another 20% £110 : £660.

And in reality he's going to order one from a local carpentry fabrication shop in the back end of beyond and it'll cost him £300 . Ok, double it. £600

Fiting it £200

£900 +VAT - is the bloody thing gold plated?

Take my answer with a pinch of salt - feeling sour about that trade at the meoment. But even with that £900 is too much.

If it has to be a fire rated door, how is an individual chippy going to certify it as a fire door if he makes it from scratch?

Surely it has to be bought as a fire door and installed to manufacturers instructions.

• Like 1

Self closers aren't required in a normal house but might be in an HMO or similar.

The whole door and frame needs to meet the required fire rating. The door manufacturer should provide instructions regarding the installation and the glass spec needed to achieve that if they don't provide it with the door.

I might be wrong but I have a feeling glass may need to have wire mesh in it? Or perhaps that's just FD60 not FD30??

5 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

I may have missed something but the OP does not mention FD, does it? 

4 hours ago, sw879 said:

The door will have a crittal style look and it will have to be fire rated.

• Thanks 1

I don't think 900 is that bad. Its 2 days in a workshop with the finishing and lacquer. Regardless of materials that's got to be 500 of anyone's dough with the overheads and labour. Add in material and profit. I doubt you're going to find it for half the price.