How does your garden grow?

Digging an L shaped trench to put some butternut squash in on the sunny side and it further confirms this is made up ground. Seems to be spoil from previous house mods over an old rubbish tip which I'm aiming to excavate further.

2023-07-11_06-18-10

2023-07-10_05-33-11

2023-07-10_10-07-46

First came the PLJ (lemon juice), now this bottle last night, unfortunately broken:

2023-07-10_10-08-05

2023-07-10_10-08-13

I'm sieving the soil that goes back in the trench through a 6mm sieve then mixing with 10 year old horse manure to add organic matter:

20230710_183046

IMG-20230709-WA0001

Edited by Onoff

2 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

That frame you have made.

Can you make them leakproof, then put water though them, introducing holes where you want to water the plants?

You mean the box section enclosure?

The rough plan was a frame I could later net for growing brassicas / soft fruits or even plastic sheet the whole thing. Not too well thought out! I might change the top, printed connectors to allow a pitched roof.

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

Yes. Seems ideal for an irrigation system.

It's plain mild steel, powder  or possibly epoxy coated. Running water through if would just hasten rusting. In fact I'm thinking of spray injecting lanolin inside the sections as a natural rust preventative.

Cleaning this same steel up when I made the pub arch recently was a mission. Flip disc'd the coating off, washed in phosphoric acid then etch primer and painted. Inside I squirted ACF-50. Still don't think it will last. For the bean frame I just keyed the coated surface and painted in Lidl's finest black paint.

Gave up on the idea of planting the 12 butternut squash that I'd brought on from seed, in raised pots or mounds. I was sick of the sight of them tbh, getting them in every night. Yesterday afternoon I just whacked them straight in a prepared, well sifted, manured, L shaped trench. They can just take their chances.

IMG_20230716_202456073

IMG_20230716_110751777

20230719_052122

20230719_052144

As a hoped pest deterrent I painted wood preserver on the top edge of the sleeper, outside the membrane that lines the sleepers so smelly right? I'd also had a home hair/beard trim so combined the cuttings with some hair from brushing the big tom cat here. Deterrent? I think not! Something shat(?) right next to the first plant! This is just nasty.

20230719_052155

• 5 months later...

About to eat the last of last year's tomatoes. Not bad eh? These are the dregs. They were all very sweet, I think through ripening slowly on the vine  and the small varieties did best.

Picked in early December from the greenhouse. The outside ones all got blight in late October and were binned.

20240110_154944.jpg

• Like 2