How does your garden grow?

2 minutes ago, pocster said:

Yeah but I want a proper beast of a cane .

Was at school with a lad from your neck of the woods, he liked it so much that he held the school record for beatings.

You probably know him, name is Tim Simpson.

Edited by SteamyTea
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Was at school with a lad from your neck of the woods, he liked it so much that he held the school record for beatings.

You probably know him, name is Tim Simpson.

Yes ; I remember him well . He was a right (expletive deleted) 

30 minutes ago, pocster said:

Yes ; I remember him well . He was a right (expletive deleted) 

We called him Brick.

Not because he was solid, but because he was dense.

There is a story, after I had been told to leave, about him being tied to a bed and pleasured. No idea if it is true or not. 

Good Lord the fermenting bucket of nettle based fertiliser don't arf chuck up! The whole garden stinks.

The garlic spray seems to be working.

Egg shells.....I'd like to use them but I've read to wash them or they can attract predators that eat eggs. The last thing I want is a badger traipsing through the beans.

I've washed the egg shells, they're quite slimy inside. Once that's gone it leaves like a membrane you can peel off. I wonder does that need to be removed?

The shells just to deter the slugs and snails.

Also read they add calcium to the ground. Is that necessary given the chalk I have here?

Only fair I should show my poor display of beans.

And I had the cheek to give advice. In fairness to self, I have been away a lot at the project.

from the left:

2 inch high from bean pushed into the ground 3 weeks ago.

3 inch high stem, denuded of all leaves and just sprouting some more: planted in pots 2 months ago

ditto but kept some leaves so is growing

A proper bean, a foot high and multi stemmed. it might be enough on its own. Planted in pot 2 months ago and escaped the snails somehow.

as '1',  but growing ok

sweet peas to encourage insects if ever there is a bean flower. 

Far left sacrificial salad plant to delay the snails . Behind a couple of garlic plants to confuse the snails.  and a courgette growing nicely at last.

All other green is weeds....carrying no-mow May into not much  weeding  June.

You may notice irrigation pipes. That will work when we are at 'the project' until the batteries or machine fail.

Garlic water also applied....so easy I just broke cloves and chucked them in a bucket of water and they keep emanating into the water.

beans2.thumb.png.a19ff94af4168ce3cfbad4dc095989b6.png

Well...what to do after a beer and Thai box meal?

Take a Zilt stick and bit of 15mm copper. That's my electrodes sorted. Lad's meter:

IMG_20220629_200509176

Push into dwarf bean pot:

IMG_20220629_195031665

0.8VDC:

IMG_20220629_195312403

Same again with the runner pot, link the two "earth batteries" together and we get 1.6VDC:

IMG_20220629_195312403

Wonder if it's enough of a deterrent if I put two copper strips around the pot? That's for another night/month/year as I work at a.....snails pace!

You can get self adhesive copper foil used for stained glass work. Thinking about the meagre 0.8V, If you used that to charge a capacitor, then repetitively dumped that charge into an inductor, the back emf could be much higher (boost circuit) and give the wildlife something much more serious to deal with.

13 minutes ago, Radian said:

You can get self adhesive copper foil used for stained glass work. Thinking about the meagre 0.8V, If you used that to charge a capacitor, then repetitively dumped that charge into an inductor, the back emf could be much higher (boost circuit) and give the wildlife something much more serious to deal with.

You draw it, I'll make it! Eventually 😂

11 hours ago, Onoff said:

Same again with the runner pot, link the two "earth batteries" together and we get 1.6VDC:

Did you copy the same photo by mistake, both multimeter shots look the same (0.826V)

I was wondering about getting a bit more voltage to begin with, although I think I can get a simple two-transistor oscilator running off of 0.8V.