How does your garden grow?

Out for a walk the other day and I happened upon one of our local Roman snails. Think almost pink colour, golf ball size or even bigger shell and a very pale body. 

Came over with Romans when they settled in the Darent Valley area, Lullingstone etc. Edible I believe.

No camera, next time. 

4 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Certainly something special in the diction! 😂

My phone had an update the other day, it now seems to randomly put any word in it feels like it.

There must be something special in your dirt.

5 hours ago, Onoff said:

pinch out the growing tips to make the plant spread

The plant then sends 2 lead shoots up instead of one, and bushes out faster. Probably unnecessary if planting 50 plants.

The same applies to sweet peas. Did I mention earlier about planting some sweet peas among your beans?

Simple, old-fashioned ones are best for attracting insects which will likely move on to the less attractive bean flowers..........and make beans.

I think this weekend it's a case of get 'em in or go home. Torrential rain every evening when I've gotten home has stopped me finishing the sleeper surround. (Saying that, my 200mm screws only arrived yesterday). This weekend is looking dry and the ground should be nicely diggable to get the sleepers in. 

The soil where the trench was dug is remarkably weed free. Guessing the literal "top" soil was the last to go back in the trench. I took out most of the flints and rubble when I backfilled and there's the alternate layers of soil ash, compost and grass cuttings and bits of bone in there. Hopefully the original "weed" layer is at the bottom, rotting away. 

IMG_20220525_052109658

IMG_20220525_052118886

Do I plant the beans on the inside of the A frame or outside? Thinking inside then train up the coir ropes. Need to get some more coir rope too.

The couple of birthday bean plants SWMBO put in tubs don't seem to be faring so well. Fairly sure she imported critters in the compost etc :(

IMG_20220525_052206811

Any thouughts on "netting" to be cable tied to my 25mm box section frame. This'll go top and sides. Mainly to protect from rabbits then deer. I was looking at this plastic netting. Won't stop a badger I know. Rats would no doubt chew it.

533050081_Screenshot2022-05-30082709.jpg.d66238e7793bc3925c94ea57346db8bd.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Feizeisun-Garden-Netting-Protecting-Vegetables/dp/B097PYWP5H/ref=sr_1_7?crid=1ST1SKQWEEGW7&keywords=garden+netting&qid=1653895576&sprefix=garden+netting%2Caps%2C106&sr=8-7

I wouldn't, as it may entangle birds.

I use bits of wire mesh salvaged from otherwise failed plastic greenhouse, barbecue shelves, bits of expamet. 

The other attractions are that it can be lifted aside for access, and that when the beans entangle with it they can be ex-tangled easily.

26 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

I wouldn't, as it may entangle birds.

I use bits of wire mesh salvaged from otherwise failed plastic greenhouse, barbecue shelves, bits of expamet. 

The other attractions are that it can be lifted aside for access, and that when the beans entangle with it they can be ex-tangled easily.

I'll be making a gate in the enclosure. Itll be 8' high.

7mm netting appears to be the maximum mesh size if growing brassicas. Deters the cabbage white from laying eggs and also keeps birds out. Not sure how pollinators get in.....do brassicas get pollinated?

Edited by Onoff

5 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I'll be making a gate in the enclosure. Itll be 8' high.

7mm netting appears to be the maximum mesh size if growing brassicas. Deters the cabbage white from laying eggs and also keeps birds out. Not sure how pollinators get in.....do brassicas get pollinated?

If they get to the pollination stage, theyre far to far gone. We eat the unopened flower buds essentially

• Like 1

1 hour ago, saveasteading said:

No. Broccoli are flower heads before they flower. The rest are even earlier when harvested.

I thought you were netting the beans.

Thanks. Yep, netting the beans. 

Debating brassicas.